Chapter 27: The Final Chapter

It had been two weeks since the show-down with Maybelle

It had been two weeks since the show-down with Maybelle. She hadn't seen any of the Howler pack, including and especially Cross Howler.

What a jerk.

He called her his baby, his soulmate, and he asked her to be his consort but the minute Maybelle and Wyatt had been thrown in shifter jail, he'd ignored her.

Definitely a jerk.

Rowena was back at work, ringing up customers at Sweeter Homes. Her boss, Rolando, was purposely giving her all the morning shifts.

"This is payback for missing so many days without a good excuse," he'd told her.

"I'm kicking him out of our book club," Rowena muttered, referring to Rolando.

Gina, who was in the next line laughed. "I found a great new book. It's another shifter book but get this-it's about penguin shifters!"

"Penguin shifters?" Rowena asked. "Why would anyone write about penguin shifters?"

"Penguins are cute!" Gina argued. "Haven't you ever seen Happy Feet?"

Rowena was still staring at her friend when she noticed items moving forward on the conveyor belt. She started scanning the items as they came in, not bothering to look up as she gave her standard greeting. "I hope you found everything okay."

She didn't get a response but that was normal. Customers sometimes ignored her greeting. It happened enough that she stopped trying to smile and engage them in conversation. She quickly scanned each item.

Twizzlers

Popcorn

M&Ms

More popcorn

A DVD of The Wizard of Oz

A DVD of Return to Oz

Rowena glanced up to see Cross waiting in line to pay. Her mouth opened slightly before she swallowed and looked away.

"You're getting The Wizard of Oz and Return to Oz?" she couldn't help but ask.

Cross grinned. "A woman I want to date really wants me to watch them."

"They're really great films," she insisted. "I'm sure that woman will like them."

"They are?" Cross asked thoughtfully, lifting one up and staring at the book cover. "Rowena, would you like to watch these DVDs with me?"

"Like, on a date?" she asked hesitantly. "Me?"

He gave a single nod. "Yes, I can even buy you dinner beforehand. I don't know if you know this or not, but I'm a millionaire. I'm only telling you this in case you want to date me for my money."

Rowena gave him a withering look. "You want me to date you for your money?"

He shrugged. "I'd rather you date me for me, but I'll take you how I can get you."