Chapter 24: The King

Rowena was alone with Reed and Maybelle

Rowena was alone with Reed and Maybelle. She was staring off into space, wondering who killed Bobby. If Flint was truly shot days ago, it was impossible that he was Bobby's murderer. The idea that there was someone else trying to kill her seemed insane. She had been so sure it was Flint.

"It's going to be okay, Rowena," Reed assured her. They were sitting across from one another at Maybelle's home. Cross was with Liam and Matt, helping his pack prepare for the full moon.

"Someone killed Casey, Bobby, and Flint. You can't tell me it's going to be okay," Rowena argued. She stood up and began pacing the white oval rug Maybelle had in front of her sofa.

"Things do seem a bit wild right now," Maybelle agreed. "We were so sure Flint was your attacker and Bobby was the real murderer of Casey."

"Now, we're back to square one," Rowena groaned, tugging at her hair. "Okay, we know Casey made bets with some other wolf. I thought it was Bobby but he said he paid for his gym with an inheritance."

"An inheritance?" Maybelle asked.

Rowena nodded. "Yes. Was his father rich?"

Reed chuckled. "Yes, the man must've had money. I didn't know Bobby very well but I've been to his gym and Casey used to tell me how his father would spend money on his wives and children. He seemed like a good man."

"Just because he had an inheritance, doesn't necessarily mean Bobby wouldn't have helped Casey," Maybelle said. "They had slept together. He was kicked out of Nightshade around the same time I left. Casey ruined that rec center but I don't believe that was the sole reason he was exiled."

"Do you think Flint asked him to be kicked out?" Reed asked. "Greg adored Flint, according to what Wyatt said."

Maybelle shrugged. "It's possible. Are you sure Flint is dead?"

"Do you think Greg would've lied to us?"

Maybelle's voice hardened. "I wouldn't trust that man if I were you. He's a devious alpha."

"Really? He looked like a tired old man." Rowena plopped herself back on the sofa. She looked over at a clock Maybelle had on the wall shaped like an elephant. Reed believed elephants were lucky but she was starting to think they were unlucky.

"He had a pencil holder on his desk with a zebra and an elephant. Reed is wearing an elephant shirt. Maybelle, your house is full of elephants. I better get some good luck."

Maybelle opened her mouth to say something when Rowena's phone rang. It was Cross. He told her he'd be at Maybelle's within the hour. Rowena noticed she had several texts from Gina and Jeremiah. Gina reassured her everything would be okay and that Little Mikey was excited for their next undercover gig. Jeremiah said he was able to get the friend of the friend who knew Bobby's ex-lover. As soon as he had any details, he'd let her know.