Chapter 14: Cousin Carmen

Rowena was convinced she was experiencing some sort of book-binge karma

Rowena was convinced she was experiencing some sort of book-binge karma. She was in the front passenger seat of Cross Howler's G-Wagon while he followed her cousin Lorena to her family's house for a Flores barbecue. A barbecue her family hadn't invited her to.

"Yup, this is definitely some sort of book-binge karma," Rowena muttered to herself.

"Did you just say book-binge karma?" Cross asked, chuckling. "Please explain what that is."

Rowena crossed her arms. She strongly believed when you read books instead of doing actual things that needed to get done like cleaning your house, paying bills, or going to work...you would suffer book-binge karma. The Literary Gods would curse you to live out some of the craziest tropes in the books you read. What else could explain her being cheated on and then being accused of witchcraft by a pack of local werewolf shifters? This of course was followed by her being kidnapped, almost being killed, going to jail, and now being forced to spend time with her crazy family who hadn't even bothered to invite her to a family barbecue. It was definitely a case of book-binge karma.

Rowena scowled at the alpha shifter. "Why are you laughing like I'm about to say something stupid?"

"I don't think that," Cross said, swallowing a smile. "I've just learned to enjoy whatever comes out of your mouth because it usually surprises me."

Rowena pursed her lips as if she were thinking about what he said. "So, if vomit came out of my mouth, you'd enjoy it? That's kind of gross."

A bark of laughter escaped him and he pointed a finger at her. "See? That's exactly what I mean. I never know what to expect. You've been the most entertainment I've had in years."

"That's only because you haven't seen my family in action," Rowena sighed. "Are you sure you don't want to turn around? We can pretend we lost Lorena and just keep on driving."

He smirked and shook his head. "You know where her family lives. Truthfully, I don't have to follow her there. You could just give me directions."

"I could also just jump out of this ridiculously expensive vehicle and make a run for it."

"Rowena," he said her name as if he were chastising her.

"Fine!" She threw her hands in the air. "We'll say we got abducted by aliens. No, wait... Tía Josephine will believe that. Last year the cops arrested her for trying to camp at Area 51. We'll say I got arrested again. They'll totally buy that."

Cross shook his head. "Rowena, we're going to this barbecue."

"I wasn't even invited!" Her voice had officially taken on a whining tone. "Besides, you don't know what they're like. The fact that you told Lorena I was your consort, which was not cool or okay by the way, is going to make things worse. The only reason I didn't make a big deal about it at the police station is that no one knows what that means."