Chapter 21: The Dog Race

Seeing her cousin Carmen at an illegal dog race which was really an illegal dog fight was not surprising

Seeing her cousin Carmen at an illegal dog race which was really an illegal dog fight was not surprising. Seeing her cousin Carmen clinging to a familiar handsome man in need of a haircut,  shocked Rowena.

Carmen's eyes narrowed as she spied Rowena. She smiled, her red lipstick still staining her teeth. When would the woman ever learn about smudge-proof lipstick?

"Is that your evil cousin Carmen?" Cross whispered.

Abby, who was standing beside them, leaned forward, her head squeezing between her brother and Rowena. "Your evil cousin Carmen who came to Sweeter Homes and made you ring up over a hundred towels and forks on your register only to tell you she didn't want anything but a single throw pillow she then paid for in pennies?"

"How did you know that?" Cross asked.

"I told her," Gina said. Little Mikey was next to her eating a hotdog. "I also told her about how her evil cousin Carmen made a complaint against Rowena for flirting with her ex-husband. Rolando, our boss, knew she was lying. Rowena is not a good flirt."

Rowena came to her own defense. "I am too!"

"Ehhh...." Abby was shaking her head. "I saw you try to flirt with Little Mikey and it wasn't that great."

"You were flirting with another man?" Cross rumbled.

"You were flirting with my man?" Gina's eyes narrowed.

"You were flirting with me?" Little Mikey asked, inadvertently showing his chewed-up hotdog to the group. "Has anyone told you cursing people is not considered flirting?"

Reed barked twice.

"Can you all cool your jets? That wasn't even real flirting. In my defense, I was only trying to get information on Casey's illegal bets. Besides, it worked, didn't it? Little Mikey shared what he knew and here we are...undercover."

"You cursed me," Little Mikey reminded her. "You gave me horrible diarrhea."

Matt coughed up the hotdog he was eating. "Do you mind? I'm eating!"

"I had to twist his arm to help you," Gina muttered, ignoring Matt. "Besides, I've seen you flirt with customers. It was like watching a slow trainwreck."

"That's not true!" Rowena protested.

"You flirt with customers?" Cross was turning a shade of red behind his fake mustache. "Did you really flirt with your evil cousin's ex-husband?"

Gina laughed. "Of course she didn't. Carmen was just lying to get Rowena in trouble."

"As if I'd flirt with the man who stole all my money to invest in a failing alpaca farm," Rowena mumbled. "I didn't even get to pet an alpaca."

"He did what?" Abby gasped. "He stole your money? Please tell me you had him put in jail."

"No. By the time we tracked down Carmen's ex-husband, it was too late. Apparently, he realized he was asexual and petitioned for a divorce. He became a monk and now lives in Tibet. I figured it would be bad karma to get a monk in trouble. He does occasionally send me postcards with alpaca pictures printed on them. He thinks it's funny. As payback, I randomly send him pictures of Carmen's lipstick-stained teeth."