Chapter 15 Marigold

"Mari, oh my gosh, I'm so sorry about my brother!" Abi ambushed me as soon as I walked into the bookstore.

"It's alright, Abi." I laughed, waving her off.

"He's ridiculous, I swear, a complete bonehead." Abi rolled her eyes.

"He was a little persistent." I shrugged, hanging up my purse and grabbing my apron.

"He's such a loser, he's been nagging me about you for weeks!" Abi said.

"Really?" I asked, surprised.

"Well, yeah, Mari, you're, like, totally gorgeous." Abi raised her eyebrows at me like I was crazy.

"Come on." I grumbled, blushing at the attention. I pressed a few buttons on the computer and clocked myself in for the day.

"You are! Seriously!" Abi laughed, nudging me with her shoulder,

"Anyway, just ignore Austin. He's a pretty boy who likes pretty girls. He's harmless but a heartbreaker, trust me."

"I'm not interested in seeing anyone, anyway, Abi." I shrugged.

"Good for you, being an independent woman!" Abi grinned. I shook my head at her and started on my duties for the day.

I was elbow deep in the stockroom when a burning pain ripped through my side. I gasped and doubled over, clutching my stomach. It felt like a hundred knives were stabbing my side, my stomach, and my chest, over and over again. I pulled up my shirt but nothing was there. I waved the palm of my glowing hand over my stomach and willed the pain to go away. My breathing began to normalize as my body began to numb.

With the pain gone, I could think clearly. I jumped up from the floor and sprinted out of the stockroom.

"Mari! What's wrong?" Abi yelled at me but I didn't pause to answer. Instead, I grabbed my purse and ran straight back to the hotel.

"What's the quickest way to get to Anacortes, Washington?" I asked the person at the front desk. I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that the pain was coming from Finn. I had to get to him and fast.

"A plane, I guess." The startled front desk lady answered.

"Can you help me get a ticket?" I asked her, slapping a twenty dollar bill on the counter as a tip. She nodded and started typing away on her computer.

"A plane leaves in two hours." She said.

"Use my card on file to purchase a ticket and arrange a car to take me there, please." I said before running off to my room to quickly pack my things.

In less than an hour, I was sitting inside the airport waiting for my plane to board. I pulled out my phone and opened up the contacts. There were only four numbers saved: the bookstore, Abi, Finn, and Stone. I pressed Stone's name and put the phone to my ear.

"Mari?" Stone answered on the first ring.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Finn's been attacked by rogues. He's in bad shape, Mari." Stone's voice was tired and devastated. He's been crying.

"I'm coming." I replied plainly.

"What?" Stone's voice was barely above a whisper, like he was afraid I was joking.

"I'll be there soon." I said again before hanging up the phone. The flight attendant announced my boarding ticket and I entered the plane. It was almost a three hour flight to Anacortes and I knew it was about to be the longest three hours of my life.