Katie Says Goodbye (2016)

My Synopsis: This movie is another coming of age about a young 17 year old name Katie played by Olivia Cook. She is a full time waitress struggling to pay rent because her mother would rather have sex with her neighbor's husband than work. Outside of being a waitress, Katie is also a prostitute. She wants to save as much money as she can to move to San Francisco. She has big dreams and is constantly pushed back. She loves in a small town so people know of her deeds and often proposition her. This is until she meets a slow witted man named Bruno and falls in love with him and she gives up being a prostitute for him. This doesn't sit well with a few men who think they are entitled to her body. This plus, plus her mother being being an awful person who ends up stealing all of Katie's money and running away leaving her to fend for herself (and it's heavily implied she fucked Bruno while Katie was at work), and her coworker threatening her after catching Katie with her dad, it seems nothing will go her way.

My Thoughts: This movie was sad, but also hopeful by the end. Katie doesn't let anything get her down no matter how much people stomp on her. It's an open ending, so you can make up what you think happened to Katie, and I choose to get her a happy life.

Official Synopsis: Katie is a kindhearted seventeen-year-old waitress who lives in a hamlet in rural Arizona with her mother Tracey who has a difficult time in keeping up with bills. To overcome poverty, escape her boring life and fulfil her plan to move to San Francisco Katie has relations with truckers, her main 'johns'.

Katie befriends and begins a relationship with local mechanic and ex-convict Bruno. He finds out she is prostituting herself, he asks her to stop and she agrees. Katie is seen with another waitress's married father who offered a ride home and it is assumed she is having sex despite Katies attempts to back him off.

Katie is picked up by 2 of Bruno's coworkers under the guise of a ride home but is taken to a rural area and is beaten and raped by them. Bruno thinks they paid her for sex after they brag about having sex with her, so he responds by brutally assaulting them.

Bruno confronts a bruised Katie and assaults a truck driver who assumed her bruises were caused by Bruno. He drives Katie to a rural area where he blames her for the assault, ends their relationship and is subsequently arrested. Tracey leaves with a married man and Katie's money, without having paid the rent. So, Katie is forced to abandon the trailer she shared with her mother.

At work, another waitress accuses Katie of stealing money from the restaurant, making Katie feel unwanted there too, despite what the owner says. She decides to accept the blame, quitting her job and confronts the other waitress for lying, who shows regret. As she leaves the restaurant, Katie falls to the ground sobbing, she then picks herself up and attempts to hitchhike.

Rotten Tomatoes Score: Critic Score: 45% Audience Score: 70%

IMDb score: 6.6/10

My Score: ★★★½

Where to find: Tubi, Amazon Prime, Pluto TV, and Apple TV