09 - Monday, October 12

"Happy birthday!"

Sophia's eyes widened with awe as she took the plastic container from me and curiously opened it. And upon seeing the contents within, she giggled, a sound so sweet. "Don't tell me you spent your hangover baking brownies," she marveled. "They look delicious. Thank you."

I smiled. "Here's hoping they don't just look the part."

"Just know I'd wrap you in a bear hug if you were a hugger," she quipped. "Also, I know this might be out of the blue, but do you want to get coffee after school on Friday? I have a day off work, and I'd love to hang out with you more. Maybe we can play something together after."

"Sure," I said eagerly, happy to have something to look forward to after a long week of classes. "Whatever the birthday girl tells me to do."

My body suddenly stiffened as a hand settled around my shoulders, but my nerves gave way when I turned to see Olivia. As soon as she noticed who I was talking to, she immediately changed course and pulled Sophia into a hug. "Ah, I see you've received the brownies. Happy birthday."

With a playful tilt of her head, Sophia questioned, "Is this some kind of a staple?"

"It's the one thing I look forward to on my birthdays," Olivia said. "And sometimes, I pretend to be sad, so she'd bake them for me."

"You think I can't tell?" I teased. "I always make sure to add an extra pinch of pity in there for your terrible acting."

Olivia's face took on a theatrical look of wounded pride, her lips molding into a pout. "No need to rub it in," she murmured before a mischievous sparkle lit up her gaze. "By the way, I'm going to this small party later. You two wanna come?"

"On a Monday evening?" Sophia gave an exaggerated sigh. "Don't you think that's a bit over the top?"

"It's chill, honestly. More like a game night or something. I'm not entirely sure."

When she turned to me with imploring eyes, my answer was a sheepish smile. "I'd rather just go home and lay in bed."

"But the Halloween party? You're coming, right?"

I let out a playful sigh, sensing my resistance melting away in the face of her excitement. "I can't say no, can I?"

She smiled. "That wouldn't be advised. But the choice is all yours."

"Are we dressing up?"

"Has there been one year where we haven't dressed up?"

Before I could craft a verbal response, Alex appeared beside us with her gaze piercing sharply into mine. And given the efforts I had expended over the last hour seeking just a sliver of her attention, even the simple fact that she looked at me was surprising.

No idea what her problem was today, but one moment, she seemed to be in a foul mood, and then wasn't. She seemed almost cordial but agitated, which was weird, like she wanted to both trust and attack me. After our last encounter, I had expected an entirely different reception.

"Kayla," Alex finally intoned when her presence had sunk in among us, and all eyes were on her. Her voice contained a hint of attitude, and I wondered what on earth had gotten her so riled up. "I'm certain you have forgotten about detention. I'm expecting to see you here later."

"How could I possibly forget?" I retorted, knowing fully well that I had. "I've been looking forward to it all week."

Alex returned the sardonic smile before turning to Sophia, who was looking a little flustered. "Happy birthday," she offered, the edge in her voice softening to a pleasant one. "Those brownies look delicious."