Chapter 10

"Because I like you!" Lana yells back at me. "I like you more than a friend Annie!"

Lana's words come alive around the empty restroom, and I don't know when I let go of her hand and stumble backward. I don't know what I was expecting, but it isn't this. I thought she would tell me something like she was angry because I abandoned her at the party, because I didn't call, or just anything else. But the more shocking thing is, as Lana confesses that she likes me, it doesn't come to me as a total shock. It's like somehow deep in my guts; I already know it. I know it because all these while that we have been friends, I could feel it. I could feel it in her, and I could feel it in myself.

"See?" Lana points at my silent stricken face. "You should have just left me alone when I asked you to." She makes to walk away, but I stop her. Lana facepalms, covering her eyes as she groans. "Let me go, Annie. You clearly don't want to be here, and I don't want to either."

"I never said I don't want to be here," I finally find the words to speak.

"Then why aren't you saying something? I just told you I liked you. Did you not hear me? I like you so much, Annie, it fucking hurts..." she presses.

"I heard you," I murmur, closing my eyes as my heart races.

"Then say something. Don't you hate me right now? Slap me if you want to. Kick me, do whatever you want! Please just do something."

I grab Lana's shoulder and try to hold her still. "Lana, stop it." I pull her closer and hug her. "Why would I slap or kick you? You haven't done anything wrong."

"I messed it all up. I am supposed to be your friend, set you up with Shawn, your dream guy, and root for your relationship, but here I am, falling for you like a fool," Lana explains; she looks hurt like she wants to punch her hand into the glass or burst out in tears.

"Lana, none of that is your fault. We can't tell who we fall for. It just happens."

Lana nods, "I'm sorry I've been so distant, Annie. You didn't do anything wrong to me. I just couldn't take it seeing you and Shawn kiss at the party..." she drawls off there. "Anyway, it's fine." Then she looks up at me, her eyes beautiful and glassy. "You don't happen to feel the same way, right?"

I let go of her and take some steps back to allow myself to breathe well. Her scent is so intoxicating, and when I hugged her, I didn't hug her for her sake. I did it for my sake. I've missed her so much. I know something is going on between Lana and me, but I don't know what it is yet. I know she confuses me, but I'm not sure what that means. All that I am very sure of right now is that I'm still attracted to Shawn, and we just started going out together. Any other thing would not be right. Lana doesn't deserve someone unsure and uncertain like I am.

"I-" I start stuttering and pause to take a deep breath. "I'm not gay, Lana."

Lana starts nodding before I even finish my sentence. "Right, of course. That was such a foolish question."

"No, it wasn't. Anything is possible with a beautiful girl like you."

She smiles. "Yeah, except having you."

I blush. "I'm really sorry, Lana."

"Don't be. It's completely fine."

"I still want to be friends," I quickly add. "I'm sorry if it's selfish, but you're an amazing friend, and it would suck to lose you. And I've really missed you. Last week and this one made no sense without you by my side, causing one havoc or another."

This time it's Lana who blushes. "Annie..."

"I'm serious. If it's not too much trouble, please be my friend again and come back to your crew. I bet they have missed you too. I can't be the reason you no longer see them."