Chapter 20

"What?" I ask as they walk up to me, grabbing my hand to pin it behind my back. I'm so confused, and I just stare with my mouth and eyes wide open.

"Gentle, she's just a student," the principal appeals on my behalf.

Then I snap back to my senses. "I don't understand. How did I turn into a suspect?"

"Someone saw you dump Lana's phone on the ground, and it was investigated, and her last calls and texts were all from you." The male cop explains calmly, looking me over.

"That doesn't mean I did anything to her!" I yell. People are starting to gather in the hallway and staring and muttering.

"Why were you with the phone then, and why did you delete the pictures?" The female cop asks, still holding my hands behind me.

My mouth opens to say something, and then it closes back. I would tell the truth, but then Lana's reputation--- Is that something I should even consider now, seeing as Shawn already knows? I remember Maddy, and I quickly turn to her and notice that she has taken a few steps away from me, putting a distance. "Maddy!" I call for her, feeling desperate as my heart pounds in my ears. "Maddy, you wanted to make a confession, remember?"

She slowly shakes her head, "What?" Playing oblivious.

"Maddy?" I call, surprised that she's like this. What happened to the innocent girl about to talk a minute ago? "Maddy, please say something. Tell them the truth." Maddy just shrugs and doesn't say anything and just keeps looking at me.

"Let's go, Anne," the female cop says, gently trying to guide me to move. In any other situation and any other environment, I can bet she will not be so gentle and calm.

Panic rises in me, and I feel like I'm going to stop breathing anytime soon or at least have a panic attack. I didn't do anything. My chest swells as the tears start dropping. "I didn't do it!" I scream desperately like my voice has been on mute all this while, and they have not been hearing me. I can't go to jail. My dad will be disappointed and feel like he failed in raising me and probably go back to alcohol. What kind of path will I be leaving for my siblings? I don't have any money to pay any dues or bail. "I didn't harm Lana, I swear! It was Shawn!" I cry out. "Shawn did it. He pushed her, and all of them know it! Danny, Maddy, Liam, and Olivia! I didn't harm her. I loved her!"

The hallway goes silent, and only the sound of my cry can be heard as I break down. The policewoman's hand holding mine is the only thing stopping me from going down on my knees. I feel so alone and afraid, and I can't believe this is happening to me now. I can't believe Maddy is not doing anything, and I feel so ashamed for hiding the phone in the first place. I really shouldn't have done it.

"Why did you hide her phone then?" The principal asks, her voice sounding pained. She looks like she's the only one who believes me.

I shake my head. "I panicked when I found it. I didn't want anybody to know about us. She was my girlfriend, and we were together at the cliff that day before I left!" I choke on my tears, coughing and taking in deep breaths. "We were sneaking around, but I didn't hurt her. I don't know what happened to her." I cry. Then I turn to Maddy; she is still standing and watching like she has no heart. "Maddy, please."

"It's true," a voice breaks through the crowd of students, and everybody turns to see who it is, watching as students part way and Shawn comes forward, putting himself out. The rim of his eyes looks red like he has been crying or is holding in tears and rubbing his eyes while at it. He looks at me, and the look on his face is one of apology and guilt. I sigh, a little relief seeping into me. "Anne didn't do anything."

I hear the cop behind me sigh, and she lets my hand go. I immediately fall to my knees, my legs feeling like jelly like I've been electrocuted by everything.