Chapter 11

The big-screen television shows a horror movie that everybody seems to have their eyes fixed on. I don't like horror movies, but I'm here anyway, and I can't really explain why. Did I come because I'm with Shawn now? Did I come because I'm part of the group and must follow them in all their activities and hang out to remain popular? Or because I want to hang out with Lana?

I turn, and she's sitting beside me, looking at the screen with her hands wrapped around her legs. She looks curious but not as intrigued as other people.

I turn to Shawn and lean up to whisper in his ears, "I'm scared."

He glances at me for a second, smiles, and returns his eyes to the television. "Don't be. It's just a simple movie, not real."

I nod and look back at the television, squirming when I see blood. I turn back to Shawn, but he looks too captivated to pay me mind, and I already turned to him once and got nothing. This time I reluctantly turn to Lana, and she turns to look at me, too, as if sensing my eyes on her. She smiles and looks away, and I blush, fixing my eyes on my sock-clad feet. I lean a little bit into her. "I'm scared."

She turns to me and looks me over as if trying to tell if I'm serious or joking, and she must have seen that I am not joking because she moves closer to me until our bodies are touching. "Do you want to leave? We could go together."

"Without Shawn?" I slowly shake my head. "I'd seem like a wuss."

"Who cares? Let's go?"

My heart melts at her readiness to leave with me so I can be comfortable. I shake my head, "I don't want to leave. I'll suck it up."

"You sure?"

"Yup."

She nods and slowly turns her head back to the screen. I think that's all until I feel her warm hand over mine as her fingers hold mine gently. I look at her, and her cheeks are red. Without looking at me, she whispers. "I'm here for you. If that counts."

I smile and hold her hand back. "It does."

I manage through the movie until it's over, Maddy gets snacks, and we get ready to play the game-- seven minutes in heaven.

"You've never played one?" Olivia asks when I ask her what exactly the rules of the game are.

I shake my head negatively. "No. I've only ever seen it in the movies."

"Oh my God, what did you do with your childhood?" Maddy asks, sharing a laugh with the others. Except for Lana.

"Um," I am not going to say anything tangible to that, but on second thoughts, my mouth opens like a rushing tap. "I spent it taking care of my drunk abandoned father."

The whole place goes quiet, and I bite my lip, regretting why I opened my big mouth. Shawn chuckles and closes the distance between us, putting his hand around me to pull me closer and placing a kiss on my cheek. "Cute."

And just like that, normality returns to the room like I didn't say anything. We take our spots on the large, round rug with a beer bottle in the center.

Lana winks at me, "don't worry, you're going to enjoy this game... if you get paired up with Shawn."

I give a smile as my response, and she returns to her position beside Danny. The game starts, and anybody who spins the bottle and ends up pointing at someone gets sentenced to spend seven minutes together in the bathroom.

Danny and Maddy go. Then Liam and Olivia. Then Olivia and Danny. And then it gets to my turn, and I spin the bottle with a blank mind, everybody is hoping I get Shawn, and I honestly don't care. I don't know about the game anyway, but then... I don't get Shawn. I get Lana.