Chapter 19

Everything this week has been kind of a blur, but it's time I get my head firmly rooted in my neck and do something about it. Sitting on my reading table with a book open in front of me, I run through my moments with Lana. Her most recent memories in school and how a lot of people did not like her. It is funny how she started the term a princess and her last week in school, an outcast. Somehow I think that's all my fault, and I can't shake the guilt away. I've decided to find the person responsible for this. If whatever happened to Lana starts from school, I will get to the bottom of it.

"People that didn't like Lana," I read out as I write in my notebook. "Danny, Nelly, Shawn..." I trail off on his name, then shake off the nostalgic feeling the name still brings and continue listing until I have everybody that was ever a friend to her written down on my note. I'm going to start with Danny and Nelly; surely there would be something there. They wanted her gone.

"Annie honey?" I hear my dad call from outside my door just before his knock bounces off, and I quickly close the book in front of me. "Can I come in?"

My eyes do a quick scan around the room before my mouth answers, "Yes, come on in, dad."

The door opens, and my dad's head peeks in, looking for me. When he sees me, he smiles and comes in, closing the door behind him. "Hey, Princess."

"Hi, dad," I sigh. "If you can teach your sons a few your manners, especially when entering my room, I'd be a happier daughter." My dad laughs, and I do too. He sits on the bed, and I get up to join him, side-hugging him as I sit. "How come you're home early?"

"I just am. The boys are cooking, and I didn't see you there."

I clear my throat, "Yes, I was going to come down after this."

My dad looks at me like he's trying to see under my skin. "Are you okay, Annie? I haven't been seeing you around much these days. I haven't heard your laughter bounce around these walls, and now that I see you, you look thinner. What's wrong, honey?"

I start shaking my head, but then my eyes sting, and I start feeling so cold and lonely. "I-I am fine, Dad."

"No, you're not." He sighs, grabbing my hand. "I know I am incompetent in a lot of things," I start shaking my head, but he continues. "But... but, I can still give some adult advice."

"Dad, you're not incompetent!" I cry out and hug him; the waterworks behind my eyes go loose. "I changed, dad. I fell in love, and I changed."

"Oh, Annie, that's alright. It happens all the time."

I shake my head in embarrassment. "Not for good. I've done some bad and shameful things. I don't want to be that person anymore. And she's missing!"

"Who's missing?"

"My girlfriend. She's gone, and I don't know what happened."

"Annie, calm down. I'm sure you'd find your girlfriend soon, she'd be back, and as for you changing, it happens to the best of us. Good or bad, your age right now is for doing everything and figuring yourself out, making mistakes, and stumbling all the time. What makes the difference is you realize and pick yourself back up before it's too late. And you're a good person Annie," he hugs me. "Always has been and always will be."

I bask in the comfort of finally letting something out and the warm hug of my father. I cry in his embrace for minutes before I stop, feeling a little better. "You're not going to react to me having a girlfriend?"

"Why would I? I heard everything is better that way. My little lesbian."

"Dad!" I laugh. "I think I'm bi, though."

"So, my little bi-lesbian?"

I chuckle, shaking my head. "Just one would do."

He hugs me tighter. "I'd stick with my little Annie then."