Chapter 34 - Kellan

Chapter 34 – Kellan

Maddie walked in front of me as we hurried into Chipotle. Watching her walk was like watching an ax being swung by an expert warrior. She was so tiny but she moved her body like a sharpened servant of the battlefield. My heartbeat synchronized with the swinging of her hips, and the smell of her hair found me on the gentle breeze. Magic.

She turned back at me abruptly. "Whatcha lookin' at?" she said far too innocently.

"Umm, honestly? Your butt. And I'm not sorry."

She spun around giggling and then stopped me inside before we ordered. Her hand found my chest first, then a finger perched on my lips.

"Hey, you're not getting steak here, okay? You're eating the sofritos with me."

I laughed. "Maddie, I've eaten vegan since we started dating. Promise. And I never took off the trans-pride bracelet your mom made me. I've been nothing but yours."

I have to admit, I was scared about the sofritos, but when we sat down at table and I had my first bite, they were actually pretty good.

"Hey, this isn't too bad," I said in between bites. "It's not the steak, but it's not bad."

Maddie looked straight ahead with that intense glare that I missed. If her face wasn't covered in war paint, I'd kiss her cheek. "At least it didn't have to suffer and bleed to get in your stomach. If you add that into the equation, then it's way better than the steak."

"What about grass-fed beef? Hugh said-"

She turned on me. "Don't believe his propaganda. He just wants to enjoy his burgers without guilt. As long as I'm around, that's not happening."

I rubbed the small of her back and laughed.

"Don't ever change. Not even a little bit," I whispered in her ear.

~~~

Traffic was heavy–it was Phoenix after all, but at least we were moving. For a Friday night, I thought we were lucky. I had never driven with Maddie before. Felt like we were older, like a preview of what life would be like in the years to come. I would find stuff she loved to do, and we'd go have a blast together. The only difference is that we'd have an electric car, because, you know, Maddie.

On the way to the concert, she reached over, turned off the music, and grabbed my hand.

"Hey, I'm sorry about the roses. That was really emo and unnecessary. I was hurt and yeah, whatever. It was sweet of you to bring them. I wish I would have kept them and put them in my hair."

I shook my head. "Eh, don't worry about it. I wouldn't care if you soaked the petals in propane and lit them on fire–as long as you're my girlfriend, we're good." I squeezed her hand and admired her delicate little mouth as it smiled at me.

"I am and always will be your girlfriend...but watch the road!"

A blur caught me eye as she was warning me. We'd drifted over the white line towards the railing on the highway. I quickly corrected our course, admonishing myself. Crashing probably wouldn't be a great way to impress Hugh the first time he lets me borrow the car.

"Oops. Guess you shouldn't have looked so hot tonight. Then maybe I could have kept my eyes on the road and not on you," I said, trying to hide my embarrassment.

"There will be plenty of time later for your eyes to be focused on me. When we're alone. In your room." She patted the top of my leg and before I could respond her lips were moving again. "Hey, I wanted to tell you... I watched back all the old VODs where you talked to me as MangaGuy06."