Chapter 40 - Maddie

Chapter 40 – Maddie

When Ty caught that pass, I think the entire crowd let half their breath before using the other half to blow our collective eardrums out.

"Is that it? Did they win?" I asked everyone around me.

"Yes, that's it!" Dad said, leaning toward me. "That was something else. I've seen a decent amount of football, Maddie, but that was something for the ages. Kellan's really talented."

"That's my boyfriend, dad. What else did you expect?"

I laughed with everybody, hugging Destiny and Charlotte and then someone called my name from the field. I turned.

"Maddie, quick, climb over this fence!" It was Tyrell, his hands moving a thousand miles per hour.

"What? Why?" I laughed at him, thinking that maybe this was just him on a normal day–just a goofy guy.

"I'm going to put you up on my shoulders and carry you to your prince. Come on, hurry up!"

I bounded over the fence as fast as I could, jumping down after cresting the top. Tyrell bent over and I climbed onto his shoulders.

He cocked his head sideways at me. "Ready to go have a moment in front of all these assholes?"

I looked at Tyrell and grinned. "Fuck yeah. Let's go find him."

It didn't take but a second, after we peeled our self-satisfied looks away from each other and back to the field, there he was. Parading around on Big Rude's shoulders, no less.

"Huh. That was easy." Tyrell said.

When we reached Kellan, the first thing I noticed was his hair matted like a cat in a rainstorm. Except the moisture was his sweat. And with that million-dollar smile inside of a football uniform, he looked much older.

"Hi."

"Hey," he said.

"Dad said that was a 'drive for the ages,' whatever that means."

Kellan laughed. "Yeah, that was epic. Did you see Tyrell's catch? He claims it was sensational. I'm going to have to see that on film."

"Believe me, bruh, it was legendary," Ty quickly piped in.

"Alright, Kellan, you're coming down. Hunting season starts soon, and I need my shoulders." Big Rude said.

I told Tyrell to sit me down and he leaned forward, dumping me onto the field. Big Rude started to walk away but stopped. He strode back to me. I saw Kellan start to move between us, but then stopped as Big Rude spoke.

"I'm sorry for my behavior in school. I know I hurt your feelings and it was wrong. You have the right to be who you are whether or not I understand it."

I nodded, genuinely moved. I didn't expect this. "Thanks. Don't worry about it. Past is the past."

Big Rude returned the nod, and then walked away.

"Well, that was something I didn't expect to see," Tyrell said once he was out of ear shot.

"Hey, you guys left us."

We all turned to see Destiny and Charlotte standing behind us, hands on their hips, looking up at Tyrell.

"Oh, I was coming back to get that phone number, don't you worry shorty. Figured we'd all be hanging out a lot together now that we're friends." He wrapped his arm around Destiny but Charlotte peeled it away.

"Oh, no you don't! She's my date to this game. I'm hoping she's going to become my girlfriend, so you better watch out!"

Tyrell backed up with a smile. "Oh! Okay. I'm sorry. I just saw an opportunity, that's all. I like the way you take up for your girl, though."

Kellan shook his head at them as they walked back toward the sideline. I felt his arm around me and looked up into his eyes.

"Well, we've got time for one more cliché high school moment before this is all over."

I tilted my head. "Oh yeah? What's that moment?"

"It's the one where the high school quarterback kisses his transgender girlfriend after throwing the game-winning touchdown."

I mock furrowed, tapping my lips. "I can't say I've seen that one. Thought the normal cliche was always the girl next door instead of the cheerleader. Don't you think this is a bit of a reach?"

"Nah. The world's primed for this. And while you may not be just next door–that would be awesome, by the way–you're only a couple blocks from me. So, it's close enough."

A slight breeze picked up and I brushed the hair out of my eyes.

"Well, you have to admit it is a little bit of a script change. But people can handle it. So, if you could change anything else about this moment, anything at all, what would it be? Maybe something about me?" I asked, arching an eyebrow.

Kellan framed my face with his hands.

"No. I wouldn't change a thing about you. And do you know why?"

I stepped closer to him. "I think I know what you're gonna say. Because