Chapter 39 - Kellan

Chapter 39 – Kellan

When I walked onto the field for the late afternoon start, I was amazed at how many people turned out to watch. It was only 5:30, but the bleachers on both sides were packed full, and there was a standing crowd at least ten rows deep by each endzone. The entire town seemed to come out for the big game.

Maddie, front row, so hot–her face painted in school colors. She's yelling and screaming and I wouldn't have it any other way. I flashed her a heart and she returned it.

This one is for you Maddie Pie. Let me show what I can do. You've showed me all your talents, now it's my chance to show you mine.

We got the ball first, and I took the field, calling the first play. Simple down and out to Tyrell, hoping to pick up an easy first down and get the chains moving.

I took the snap, quickly surveyed the field, and fired right to Tyrell. The defender was one step ahead of me and snatched the ball out of the air just before it reached Tyrell's hands, intercepting the pass and easily cruising into the endzone for a touchdown.

Well, walk up to me with a sledgehammer and smash me in the groin then.

On the sidelines, I quickly found an empty spot on the bench and ripped at my hair, ready to scream. Tyrell wasn't far behind me, surprisingly upbeat.

"First mistake out of the way. And we're going to cash in on that later. He's going to bite again and I'm gonna break his teeth."

The first three quarters were a slugfest. We punched back and forth, as I shook off the rust. I was hanging in there, making some good plays, but I was missing a lot of opportunities, too. We would have had these guys buried by now if I was playing with more than just raw instinct.

I buckled down at the start of the 4th, letting all the noise around me die down, becoming one with the field. When we got the ball, it was business like efficiency. I hit Ty with a long pass to bring us within 4. More importantly, I tapped back into me.

"We just need a good defensive stop. Let's make em pay if they play it safe," I said to Ty as we waited anxiously for our defense to make a stand.

I spotted you guys an early touchdown with my sloppiness. I'm getting that back.

Our opponents opted for the safe route, running the ball to churn the clock, whittling away at the time left for a comeback. They got a few first downs thanks to our suspect defense, but we finally stopped them at midfield, forcing them to punt.

Their punter angled his kick just right, and the ball bounced out of bounds at our own 5-yard line. Ty let out a whistle.

"Well, at least if we do this it's hero mode," I said, nodding at the clock that promised us a little over two minutes left.

I searched and quickly found a nail-biting Maddie, her cheeks all screwed up around her eyes.

Now you know how I felt during your Minecraft streams. I wanted to jump through that computer and help you anyway I could. But you know what? You're helping me right now. Just knowing you're mine brings me an unstoppable strength.

I huddled the guys on the sideline, discussing our plans for our final drive of the game, if not the season. We wouldn't have time to waste once we got on the field; we needed to iron everything out now.

"Okay, let's go silent count to open the drive. We get set, everybody moves on two Mississippi. Let's keep it simple, get open. If it's running play, we'll run off Big Rude to the left. Give Byron a hole he could drive a truck through big man."