Chapter 10

Whaaaaaat I'm back after literal years?? Enjoy! Previous chapters have been updated/edited slightly... ENJOY FRIENDS

Chapter 10

"What are you doing later?" Kade asked, walking up to me by my car in the student parking lot outside of school.

"Shit, hey." I laughed, shocked to see him at the high school. "What are you doing here?"

I was slightly weirded out, and I mean who wouldn't be by a twenty year old showing up at a high school seemingly to only talk to you?

"Soccer practice, genius." Kade laughed, pointing over to the field. "Not stalking you, don't worry."

"Sure about that?" I teased, completely at ease now. Of course he was only here for practice.

He just rolled his eyes, taking a small step towards me as he glanced down at my lips.

"But seriously, what are you doing later?" Kade asked softly, tauntingly close but not close enough to touch.

"Why?" I raised my eyebrows with a smile.

"I dunno, it's Friday night, want to hang?" Kade offered, stepping back from me as he leaned against the car parked next to mine.

I almost said yes, but then I thought of Jesse and how it was one thing to be hooking up with her brother occasionally on the side... But to actually go out with him?

I looked at Kade for a moment, wondering which path I was about to take with this.

First of all, why was he even asking me to hang out again? Every time before this was usually influenced by a synthetic power, simply to let off some steam. We had barely talked all week, and now here he was?

"Maybe." I shrugged, trying to act nonchalant.

I didn't want to straight up 'but what about your sister' because that makes me seem immature and childish, worried about petty high school friend drama.

"Perfect. I'll pick you up at 9:30. Bring your soccer stuff." Kade grinned, giving my shoulder a tiny nudge as he walked past.

"My soccer stuff?" I raised my eyebrows. "What on earth for?"

"See ya later, Harrison."

With that ominous phrase, he was heading off towards the soccer fields and I was dumbfounded by this requirement.

9:30 at night? Soccer stuff?

What could this be?

~*~*~

"Where are you off to?" My dad asked as I jogged into the kitchen at 8:59, finishing the last of my french braid. I wanted to look cute and sporty for this soccer mystery with Kade, but a ponytail just seemed too everyday casual.

"Uh..." I replied, shocked to see him sitting at the kitchen table with his laptop open and a playbook next to him. Why wasn't he working in his office?

"I'm hanging out with Kade Armstrong, actually." I said casually, still moving quickly as I went over to the fridge to grab a last minute snack.

My dad was silent, trying to wrap his head around the collision of his worlds.

He studied me for a minute, tapping his pen against his chin.

"It's some sort of soccer thing, don't worry." I added, trying to make him not assume anything. "Totally PG event, nothing to freak about."

My dad just nodded, still frowning but no longer looking scared. "Alright, if you say so." He sighed.

I nodded also, unable to talk through the cold pizza I'd just shoved in my mouth.