CHAPTER 3 - A New Beginning

Sindhu was glad they moved to a new house; she can finally get some sleep now. But it also meant she has to stay here with Karthik, alone.

Their apartment was in Teja Heights Township, located 45 minutes from Secunderabad, the twin city of Hyderabad. The place is far away from city, about 30 minutes to her in-laws house and an hour and half to her parents'.

Though the township is located in the city outskirts, far away from civilization, she loved their house. It is a two bed room apartment located in the third floor of their block. The apartment was spacious with a dining at the entrance followed by living, with a wide balcony.

She strolled around the township and found a small super market, vegetable market, a mini pharmacy, an ATM, a saloon and beauty parlors- there were at least three.

Sindhu was glad to find them. She had no idea how she will manage to cook if she had to run out of township every time she needed something. And going out, is out of question since she didn't have her bike and had to take an auto-rickshaw for it. Yes, the township was that big; with about 1800 flats that you need a vehicle to reach the main road.

After walking around for thirty minutes, she went back to her apartment. It was empty. She remembered how Karthik left for work without even saying goodbye or looking at her.

She already felt lonely. She understood this is how her life is going to be from now on.

Mentally noting not to think too much about future, she pulled her bags from the living towards the guest bed room. When they came that morning, Karthik told her to stay in the guest room while he will be occupying the master bedroom. Meaning she is not allowed into his room and has to stay within her limits.

Sindhu looked around the room and was disappointed when she found no attached bath. Great, she has to use the common one now.

Opening her trolley, she carefully picked out her clothes and started setting them up in the cupboards. She filled the whole cupboards and was still left with a trolley and a bag of clothes. She had no idea where to keep them. She wanted to check his cupboards if they are empty but decided against it.

After neatly arranging everything in her room, she went to the living. She was thankful that her mother in law fixed the furniture before the marriage. Even the kitchen was set up; it was fully stocked except for an empty refrigerator which means she has to buy vegetables.

After cleaning the house and setting up things from few packed brown boxes, she took her purse and went out.

Sindhu returned an hour later with lots of carry bags after her vegetable and groceries shopping. She arranged all the items in the empty Tupperware boxes and set to cook. After a late lunch, she switched on TV and continued watching until Karthik came back from work at 6 PM.

She didn't know what he will have at that time. Tea, Coffee, Snacks, Fruits or an early dinner?

"Do you want something?" she asked slowly.

Without replying, he continued removing his socks followed by shoes.

"Shall I get you Tea?" she asked again, praying he answered.

He left the room quietly and walked to his room shutting it behind him.

She thought of calling Seetha to know what he liked, but stopped herself; realizing she has to learn to do everything on her own.

Not knowing what to do, she went to kitchen and opened the fridge. She was greeted with the fresh fruits she purchased that morning. She took the water melon out and carefully sliced it into pieces. Once she is done, she took the plate of slices and walked to his room, knocking the door.