Chapter 5

Her sudden appearance made Cheng Xuan stunned for a few seconds.

The person stood in the morning sunshine, wearing a button-up dress, and smiled at her with bent eyes. The light-colored pupils looked like two beautiful amber beads.

Cheng Xuan and she stared at each other for a moment, then nodded slightly.

She was never good at communicating with people who were overly cheerful, and didn't want to have too much interaction with this person from the bottom of her heart.

Yao Yanyan didn't notice her indifference. Seeing the chubby boy in the inner room staring at her and Cheng Xuan feeding him with a spoon, she understood what was going on.

Cheng Shibao pushed away the spoon and jumped off the stool to run to Yao Yanyan, his face full of excitement. "Sister! Are you the tenant upstairs?"

Yao Yanyan tilted her head and showed no expression on her face. "Yes, why?"

Cheng Shibao's face turned red with excitement. "Sister, are you moving in today? Can I come up and play?"

"Haha." Yao Yanyan laughed.

Seeing Cheng Xuan putting down the spoon and staring at her, she squatted down and talked to the chubby boy. "We are not good friends, of course you can't."

Cheng Shibao was extremely disappointed and asked anxiously, "Then how can we become good friends?"

Yao Yanyan thought for a moment and smiled, "How old are you?"

Cheng Shibao answered, "Ten."

Yao Yanyan pretended to be surprised and dragged out her tone. "Oh my god."

"I don't want a clumsy boy who needs his sister to feed him to be my friend," she continued.

Cheng Shibao was upset and quickly said, "Then I won't let Cheng Xuan feed me, is that okay?"

Yao Yanyan propped her chin. "Um...It's impolite not to address elders properly, and children who can't do that can't be my friends. I like independent and well-behaved children."

Cheng Shibao replied, "I address them properly! I address everyone properly!"

Yao Yanyan was surprised. "No, you didn't," she pushed Cheng Shibao and turned around. "You didn't even call her sister. I don't like rude children."

Cheng Shibao frowned. "But..."

Yao Yanyan's tone softened. "What's wrong?"

Cheng Shibao sighed, "It's nothing."

Cheng Xuan watched the whole process and avoided the girl's gaze uncomfortably when she smiled at her.

It was almost time, and Cheng Xuan pulled Cheng Shibao over and fed him two mouthfuls of porridge whether he ate or not. "We should go now."

Surprisingly, Cheng Shibao didn't make a fuss or throw a tantrum.

Cheng Xuan changed her shoes for him at the entrance and left.

Halfway through the bike ride, she heard him say reluctantly from behind, "I'll eat by myself in the future..."

Cheng Xuan didn't have much emotion and just responded with a plain "Hmm."

After seeing off Cheng Shibao, the weather started to get hot. Cheng Xuan rode her bike back home, and the people at the entrance had already left. Only a pink suitcase was left in the corner of the entrance.

The clean and pretty suitcase was covered in many cartoon stickers, making it very noticeable in the messy corner of the entrance. Cheng Xuan's gaze turned to the upstairs. Even though she didn't hear any sound, she knew someone was up there.