Chapter 34 - Cruel

Kalindi moved a step away from her so as to avoid the attack and within a fraction of second, Swarnalekha staggered back as she looked at her cut off arm on the ground.  The room echoed with a painful cry.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Swarnalekha's father was in a shock and the other members who were present were all shocked at Abhyuday's unexpected move.  Susheela shrieked in fright and closed her eyes and Vikrama quickly escorted her out of the chamber while the King and Prime Minister who is the victim's father were still in the chamber.  Kalindi simply took the end of her saree to wipe out some of the blood spots on her face and arms, not minding that one person was crying out of pain due to her lost hand.   The Prime Minister immediately called for the maids who were previously aiding his daughter and asked them to take her to the room and he himself took the broken arm from the ground and went to bring the Vaidh ji so that he could sew back the arm. 

After he left, the king of Krishakya, who is Abhyuday's Maternal uncle, said,"Abhi, Don't you think this is a harsh punishment for her? We could have settled this peacefully and moreover, that girl was already suffering from some unknown disease.  Now this is another problem which will follow her whole life if the Vaidh ji couldn't fix this".  Abhyuday looked at his uncle and said, "Uncle, You need to know that I don't take action immediately.  But if I make a move then that will be the first and last face-off with my enemy ".  He gave a pause to look at Kalindi who was already looking at him and then he said, "You may not know what they were conspiring behind our backs.  The pair of Father and daughter had planned to either poison Kalindi's food which could make her infertile or to claim that Swarnalekha had got into an accident due to my wife which made it impossible for them to find a good husband.  And so I should take her responsibility since no one would marry her.  Ofcourse their claim was meant to be a false one but either way they are targetting the Yuvrani of Rakshatra and as the Yuvraj, I will not simply stand aside and look on.  Initially I thought that her disfiguration was a big punishment enough that I shouldn't intervene but even at that moment that vicious man thought of using his daughter to go on the second plan and make it a claim that it was my wife who ruined her looks.  And ultimately they thought of forcing me to marry her".    The King was shocked to say the least and Abhyuday continued, "And the moment She went near my wife and touched her, I couldn't wait for that woman to make her next move.  So I did what I felt right.  Some people might think my ways are cruel but then what did they expect from me, who had been named as Ruthless by his own people.  Cutting off her arm is actually little less punishment if I have to say". 

His uncle who was shocked for sometime said, "I knew that they were ambitious people who were trying to make Vikrama marry for the second time.  Since Vikrama fell in love with Susheela, no one could object his marriage which he had done in her maternal kingdom.  Even after all this, I never thought that they would go to this extent and that too for you, whom they haven't even seen till the last week".   Abhyuday chuckled humourlessly and said, "Your Prime minister has ambitions more than you could think of.  They didn't have a stronger threat from Vikrama's wife which is why they were ready to wait patiently.  And when that woman got obsessed with me or lets say when her ego got bruised by my wife, She changed her target which got approval from her father as Rakshatra is a bigger Kingdom than Krishakya".  Hearing Abhyuday's words, the King was utterly speechless as he wasn't even able to distinguish the good and bad people near him. 

When the King of Krishakya was immersed in his thoughts, Abhyuday clapped twice and Bharat came inside the chamber.  Abhyuday asked for a letter which was handed over by Bharat and he went out.  Abhyuday gave the letter scroll which looked decades old to his uncle and said, "I got this only when my people were spying on the Prime minister.  I think this belongs to you and I request you to do justice to this".  Following that, the King went out leaving the couple alone in the chamber.  Kalindi asked, "So you have known about their plans all along?".  To which he replied, "Yes and their plan will be executed after a formal proposal towards me and if I had refused".  Kalindi said with a frown, "If you had told me that you are going to deal with them anyways, then I wouldn't have wasted my time to carefully complete the work".  Saying so she was about to leave the chamber to show her formal courtesy to check upon the victim but he held her hand and said, "You know, I love to give you rewards.  Infact I didn't get to know that you have already made a move.  Seems like my people are becoming incompetent to track your moves".  Kalindi replied sarcastically, "Yeah, your trusted spy is not here with me".  Abhyuday chuckled at her reference to Gopi who was assigned by him and then said, "Don't worry, you won't miss your maid anymore ".  Kalindi playfully glared at him which made him laugh. 

Soon the night went by while the Vaidh ji said that he is not well versed in this kind of advanced methods in the field of medicine, to attach back the severed part of the body.  When the morning came by, the Yuvraj and Yuvrani of Rakshatra were preparing to depart from the place when their Grandmother came to visit them.  She blessed them for having healthy children and wished them to travel safely before going back to her chamber.  But before they could depart, they got to know the news that the entire family of prime minister who are living in his house have been arrested and their death sentence had been ordered by the King himself.  And the execution will take place by noon and their bodies will be thrown out for the vultures to eat.  The reason for execution was said to be treason.  The Royal couple bid their farewell to everyone in the royal family and started their return journey.

Once again during the journey, they had to take a stop during night time and the resting tents were made.  When Abhyuday and Kalindi were alone in the tent, She asked him, "Why are we taking a different route from the one we took while coming here?  Is there any threat?".  She knew very well about his capability to protect himself but her suspicion on Bharat made her anxious, in other words it's her husband's trust on Bharat which made her anxious.  Moreover Parth was also not present there.  Abhyuday replied, "It is just the usual safety routine, nothing special.  Infact there are many such routes available".  She relaxed on her seat and watched her husband as he was looking at some scrolls which might probably from his subordinates from Rakshatra.  He asked while still working, "Your gaze is quite distracting when I am working".  She replied nonchalantly, "Why? As your legitimate wife, I have every right to look at you.  Do you want me to look at other men?".  He stopped his work and looked at her before saying, "So Yuvrani has such adulterous thoughts as well?".  Although he said it in a funny way, she could recognise the coldness in his eyes and laughed lightly.  

Suddenly a guard asked for his audience and Abhyuday went out followed by Kalindi.  The guard reported, "Yuvraj, One of our guards is injured but it was not serious, so we have made first aid for the time being.  Tomorrow after we reach our place, he can get the treatment from our Vaidh.  And the group of assassins who were disguised as bandits were all eliminated except the leader, as instructed Yuvraj".   Abhyuday dismissed him and came back to the tent.  Kalindi came back inside and asked him, "Will the soldier be alright till tomorrow? Should we inform the Royal Vaidh ji beforehand?".  Abhyuday simply said, "He said 'Our Vaidh' and that is not the Royal Vaidh ji.  Don't worry about anything else, he will be alright.  It's only a few hours before the sunrise.  Take proper rest otherwise the journey will be so tiring".  After that, Kalindi didn't nag him with questions as she realised his disturbed mood in his solemn answer and laid down on the bed.  Only then did she thought, "Where was Bharat all this time?"

Glossary:
Maharaj - King
Maharani - Queen
Yuvraj - Crown Prince
Yuvrani - Crown Princess
Rajkumar - Prince
Bhai - Brother
Bhabhi - sister-in-law
Vaidh ji - Doctor
Chacha - Father's younger brother
Shastrasala - Godown of weapons with practice arena
Gurudev - Teacher

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.