Doubted The Passion

Kavina sighed as she woke up. She looked over at her nightstand taking her phone. Her eyes widened when she'd seen the time, 5:32, she was supposed to visit her dad ten minutes ago.

She'd gotten out of bed, walking into her en-suite bathroom taking her toothbrush. She swabbed it under the running water she had turned on and put toothpaste on her toothbrush before swabbing it under water again. Turning off the water, she brushed her teeth, more of scrubbed considering that she'd been in a tight time frame and rinsed her mouth in water before gurgling mouthwash and spitting it out.

She hurried taking off her clothes and sprinted into the shower, turning on the water to a tolerated temperature before lathering her body with a vanilla body wash, inhaling the scent, she smiles before rinsing off her body and stepping out of the shower. She does her usual face cleansing routine before running to her wardrobe, searching for an outfit. She takes out a Nike black tracksuit before moisturizing her body with a vanilla body lotion and putting on deaodarant.

She takes out matching underwear and hurriedly puts it on before slipping on her chosen outfit. She quickly finds socks to wear before slipping on her Nike slides. She puts on mascara and lip gloss before brushing through her disheveled hair due to her nap and quickly spritz her vanilla fragrance all over her body.

She takes her phone and purse before running downstairs of her two-storey house and grabbing a bottled water with her car keys and leaves the house locking up her front door. She speed walks to her black Audi and jumps in before speeding off.

Fifteen minutes later, she arrives at her father's mansion and parks. She sighs leaning in her car seat, taking her phone and purse, she exits her car, looking back at it, she locks it.

She jogs to her father's doorstep and knocks on the door.

She waits and the door is opened with her step-mother (Melissa) glaring at her.

Kavinaʼs parents divorced when she was 4 and her mother left and never turned back, leaving Kavina in the care of her father. When Kavina turned 11, her father introduced her to his girlfriend of three years, Melissa. Kavina and Melissa bonded instantly and when Kavina turned 13, her father and Melissa had wedded.

“Kavina Michelle Wilson, that man has been waiting on you for a whole hour and thirty minutes”, she smacked her upside her head

Kavina winced from the pain, “Mama, I'm sorry, I was sleeping”

She brings her in, shutting the front door.

Michelle kisses her on the cheek, “It's okay baybeh, I left some cookies for ya' and juice, go see what he need”

Kavina nods hugging her, walking to her dad's office, she opens the door before entering and sits on an office chair, directly facing her father (Messiah) who glares at her.

“Now tell me why I shouldn't smack the shit outta ya'”, he spat

“I was sleeping”, she says more in a questioning yone

Her father laughs before shaking his head, “I'm playing witcha babygirl, how are ya'”

She smiles, “I been aight pops, whatchu need?”

He smiles at her, “Ion need much but I wanted to tell ya' that we got a family reunion on Saturday and I know you don't fuck with most of Melissa's people”

She rolls her eyes. Melissa's family had taunted her because she was not Melissa's biological child, not considering this a blessing because Melissa could not bear children and had been given one with no cons but pros, marrying the man she loved and taking care of a child she adored. Melissa had seen how they treated Kavina and had asked them to stop but the didn't, they never would listen, stubborn and selfish. Only supporting the marriage between Melissa and Messiah because it brought in money.

She turns her lip up, “Pops, I ain't going”

He father runs his hands down his face and sighs, “Babygirl, I know but my fam' gon' be there and I know you fucks heavy wit'em.”

Her father giving her an ultimatum, she ponders on whether she should come or not.

She sighs giving in, “Okay”

He smiles, “You coming?”

She nods, “Yeah, only for Malik and Ne'veah”

Malik and Ne'veah are her paternal cousins, they were those cousins who would put her up to mischief, hold her when she cries and made her laugh when she was sad. She loved and adored them with her heart and couldn't wait to see them, she couldn't wait to see her homies.

Her father nods his head, “Okay, now let's eat them dry ass cookies ya' momma baked”

She gasps, “ Pops”

He shakes his head, “Did I lie tho?”

Kavina shakes her head at her father proceeding to eat and talk to him about anything.

Time went by, Kavina had planned on leaving atleast by 7pm but instead stayed thinking she could squeeze in a few more minutes that soon turned into hours which lead to her only leaving at 10pm.

She walks out of house with Melissa hot her trail.

“... And don't forget to lock yo door baybeh, shit happens in tha night time and remember to lock the—”

“Lock the doors mama, I heard ya', you keeping me longer only makes it worse”, she smiles at her step-mother

“Oh shoot, I'm sorry baybeh but drive safe and I lo—”

“Melissa, I need sum help with this damn massage chair!”, Messiah yells from upstairs

Melissa sighs shaking her head, “Lemme go see what cha' bean-head ass daddy want”

“I heard that, you's one ugly specimen!”, Kavinaʼs father yells making Kavina laugh

“Never that!”, Melissa yells at him

“But take care baybeh, me and ya' father love you”, she smiles at her daughter

“And I love y'all too, bye now”, Kavina makes her way to her car

“Go on baybeh, bye”, Melissa waves before shutting the door

Thirty minutes later, Kavina arrived home, running out of her car with her phone and purse, running quickly into her house because it was raining. She locked her front door and sighed heavily as she shivered. She hated the rain and cold, she was more of a summer girl. She loved the heat and sun rays with the vibes of the season. She set her phone and purse on the kitchen island and walked upstairs to her bedroom.

She took a quick hot shower before jumping into her onesie, not bothered to moisturize herself because the body wash did that perfectly. She walked to the kitchen, downstairs and got out a wine bottle before pouring it in a glass. She took a few sips before setting it on the kitchen island and turning off the house lights.

She took her wine glass and phone, using her phone's torch to lead her way.

She flopped on her bed sipping her wine and checking her socials. She yawned as she set her phone on the nightstand and snuggles in her bed covers.

Her mind wandered to her job, Kavina was a waitress who worked at a local diner 'Coco & Soul', she wouldn't say she hated her job but she didn't want to stay a waitress her whole life but a poet. She was already 22 and needed to make an actual living she would love and live off. Her house and car, paid off by her father, she halfly paid for what she wanted because her father insisted, she just wanted independence.

She believed that anything could be expressed with words, a metaphor or direct meaning, she never doubted the passion of poetry and had flourished in it at that.

She smiled as her eyes got heavy and in seconds, she was out like a light.