Couldn't Bear

Killian sighed, frustrated as he'd finished making his twentieth play of the day. He was more than tired and wanted to sleep more than anything. He had five more plays to do and he'd soon be free to do whatever he wanted for the rest of the week.

Killian is a drug dealer, he sold marijuana, sage, purple hayes & backwoods, nothing too major. He never really wanted to do this but when his mother began struggling raising him and his brother alone, he as the oldest took matters into his own hands.

Killianʼs father, Kamari was put away behind bars when Killian turned 8 and it had affected him badly. He'd loved being around his father and losing him to an arrest was an unbearable pain. He hated even more to visit his father in a prison where he'd been treated like an animal, chained up as if he was high risk but only got arrested for possession of drugs. He hated the law enforcement with a passion, they took away his father.

Three hours later, Killian had parked in his mother's driveway. As much as he wanted to sleep, he couldn't end off his day without seeing her.

He furrowed his eyebrows as he'd seen another car park beside his. He got out of the car and had seen his brother, Kamiri, making him smile before jogging to him and hugging him tightly before dabbing him up.

“I ain't seen yo bitch-ass in a month”, he smacked his younger brother upside his head

Kamiri glares at him, “Chill on that bitch word”

Killian shrugs, “Less go see mama”

He walks into his mother's home with his brother hot on his trail. He smiles at the image of his mother cooking her usual gumbo rice with fried chicken.

“Mama I found a rat in the driveway”, he snickers pointing at his brother

“Shut up bitch, hey mama”, Kamiri goes over to hug their mother

She rocks him back and before hitting his head with a wooden spoon.

“Don't think that I ain't heard that cuss word, respect yo older brother”, his mother reprimands him

“But mama, he—”

“Aht, aht. No buts, just stop cussing Kamiri, hey Killian”, she smiles at her oldest son

Killian laughs at his brother who glares at him and hugs his mother, kissing her on her forehead, “Hey mama”

“y'all hungry, I made gumbo with fried chicken”, she offered

“I'm down”, Kamiri shrugs

“Me too, but I'mma sleep over here tonight”, Killian informs his mother

Tired than a bitch, he thought.

“Okay, that's fine baybeh, Kamiri, you staying here too”, she askes

“Yeah but not only fa' tonight, I'a be here for a while”, he smiles

“How long is a while, miri?”, she addresses him by his nickname

“Bout a month, I'm thinking bout moving back hea' but I'm chilling now”, he sighs

“Really, miri”, his mother cheeses

It was no doubt that she'd missed her sons but had yearned more for Kamiri given that he'd lived across the country and Killian only being twenty minutes away.

Killian watches his family interact, wishing his father were here, it would have been complete. He visited his father twice a month and sometimes came along with his mother who had her own private visits with her husband.

He was cut out of his thoughts when he heard the food was ready.

He washed his hands before joining his family to say grace and digging in.

“How was yo flight”, Killian looks over to his brother

“It was ayt, but there was this lil bi—female that had been irritating me wit her snoring”, he cut himself off remembering his mother (Jasmine) was present.

“He know betta”, she muttered eating her food

“So kai, how was yo day”, Jasmine looked over to her son who was stuffing his face with food

He shrugs, “It was ayt ma, made a few plays, ain't much”

“When you gon' quit, son and take painting seriously. I'm good over here, yo brother got a job, you gotta whole house and car, they ain't nothing keeping you from quitting”, his mother reasoned

Jasmine worried that soon enough, her son would end up behind bars just like her husband and she couldn't bear to watch it happen. She'd know Killianʼs talent in art and persuaded him to carry it out but as soon as his father was taken away from him, he only painted rarely, not finding motivation unless he had a lot on his plate.

“Mama, I know you straight fa' life and Kamiri is too but I gotta make sure I am, I ain't tryna be caught lacking by 12”, he halfly lied

Yes, he'd made sure his family was okay but so was he, in fact, if he'd stopped now, he'd be set for life, he'd already been for three years. Only 24, Killian still had dreams of becoming an artist, he had the education, he had the passion and the skills, he didn't lack anything, he just couldn't bear on leaving a business where he was highly respected.

“Okay baybeh”, his mother sighed sadly knowing the conversation would only hit a dead end with Killain

He was very closed off, he never liked to disclose information with anyone, it wasn't the fact of trust but he just couldn't allow himself to let anyone know what or how he was doing, he was a provider and selfless at that, it was engraved in him to push his feelings aside at a young age, not knowing that it had damaged him.

He finished his food before washing his dish and drinking a cup of water. He'd told his mother and brother he'd be going to bed before brushing his teeth and showering before jumping into his bed covers and sighing.

His mind ran with thoughts of meeting a woman he'd make his wife, he believed he was old enough and ready for such a commitment.

Killian had his few female 'friends' but it meant nothing to him, he enjoyed the fun but after awhile, he grew bored and tired and had since stayed celibate till he found his wife.

He's eyes grew heavy and in seconds, he was deep in sleep.