Chapter 37: Ben & Vera

'Hullo, Charlotte,' Ben murmured softly as Rutland handed him the babe, keeping a hand under her tiny little head, her pink face the only thing visible to Ben as the rest of her was swaddled quite snuggly with a blanket. She took a tiny sneeze, the entirety of her face bunched up with effort. 'I am Benedict, your godfather. I am glad to see you, I came to visit you as soon as I was able.'

The baby blinked at him with unfocused eyes, her tiny little nose twitching and her little arms attempting to move in the blankets. Ben thought she looked somewhat like an egg. The most adorable egg in the world, granted, but an egg nonetheless. He hazarded a nervous look toward his wife, who was sitting with the Duchess of Rutland, her back stiff and her posture severe. The drawing room they were in was in Rutland's suite in his home, close to both their chambers and the nursery so that his wife could meet visitors comfortably without taxing herself. His wife was shooting him her own nervous glance so he nodded his encouragement before turning back to the baby. She gave him an infinitesimal smile, but her shoulders relaxed just a little.

'I have been very excited to meet you, young lady. I have bought you all sorts of toys to play with.' Charlotte gurgled in approval. 'Yes, it is a bribe, for I simply shall not allow you to like Graham more than you like me, and he's naturally more charming than I.'

Charlotte offered him a toothless yawn, he raised her just a little and pressed a kiss to the soft flesh of her head. 'Don't believe me? Oh, you just wait. He's just over there, waiting for his turn. He's been a charmer from our youth, you had better be wary of men like him when you are grown. But not to worry, we shall keep you safe from the rogues and rakes when you're older, Graham and I. Your papa? Why, he's a good ten years older than I. He shall be far too decrepit by the time you will need the supervision.'

Rutland chuckled softly, reaching for his child and whispering nonsense in her ear as she gurgled in delight. He handed her to Graham, who accepted her with a soft smile and turned to him. The moment she was in his arms, however, she let out the most hideous wail Benedict could have imagined and dissolved into loud cries.

Impressive lungs, his goddaughter had.

Graham handed her back to Rutland in a panic, who promptly excused himself to seek out the child's nursemaid, his concerned wife following him out. Minerva too, soon made her excuses, allowing him the opportunity to catch up with his friend.

'So?' Graham raised an eyebrow. 'You and Her Grace certainly seem.....close. You cannot possibly imagine what a laugh Philip and Rutland had when I told them of your circumstances.'

'I imagine they did,' Ben chuckled warmly. He had missed his friends, their ribbing and all. 'We have been getting along as of late.'

'So, are we to hear some news from your quarter soon?' Graham offered him a cheeky grin.

'I am working on it,' he sighed, leaning against the back of the sofa as he watched Graham do a double take.

'By God, you're serious! I was speaking in jest.' He leaned forward, staring Ben in the eye as if waiting to catch him in a lie. 'How? When? The last I saw the two of you, you were barely speaking!'

'Things can change in three months!' Ben replied defensively, folding his arms over his chest.

'Things haven't changed in six years!' Graham insisted, nearly slack-jawed, 'She took you back? Just like that?'

'Actually.....' Ben felt his face go hot, 'she has not. Yet. As I said, I am working on it.'

'I don't envy you your Sisyphean task, my friend.' Graham chuckled, 'Six years' worth of hurt pride....That's not going to be an easy fix.'