III. commendations

CHAPTER THREE
COMMEDATIONS

"you know, it's- it's crazy. a few weeks ago i thought i was going to get bounced from the programme and now i'm getting an award from the deputy chief." jackson explained to valerie, whilst he ironed his fancy suit.

"well, me and lopez were certain one of you would've washed out by now, but here we are." valerie chuckled at the boy. "you've all came so far, i won't lie. it's actually surprising, almost every year someone washes out of the programme but none of you have and i have faith none of you will."

jackson smiled at valerie as she moved towards the coffee machine. valerie couldn't cope throughout the day with her morning coffee. usually jackson made it for her, but he was too busy ironing his suit.

"i'm really happy for you, west." valerie told the boy, earning a sweet smile from him in return.

"aw thanks." jackson grinned. "plus, tim is gonna be in a really good mood today." jackson shrugged his shoulders.

"oh, don't even jinx it. i can't be bothered listening to his whining all day." valerie rolled her eyes before opening the carton of milk. she went to pour the milk into her coffee, only to realise there was none left. valerie looked up at jackson with a raised eyebrow.

"sorry." he whispered.

•••••

"hey, are you okay? what happened?" valerie rushed into the hospital, spotting tim talking to officer lopez. valerie got to the hospital as quick as possible when she heard that tim and lucy got into a car accident.

"i rear-ended a citizen." tim admitted, biting down on his lip awkwardly.

"bad?" valerie asked, furrowing her eyebrows at the man infront of her. valerie wondered what time could've been doing to not realise he was about to cause an accident. tim was never distracted, he was always focused on his surroundings, it wasn't like him.

"she's in the ER." tim answered with a disappointed look on his face. valerie could tell he was disappointed with himself. "i don't know what happened. just-"

"i got to go!" lopez cut him off, running away from the pair and into the elevator. valerie raised her eyebrow as she walked lopez disappear.

"what's going on?" valerie asked as tim and her turned to watch where lopez was a moment ago. tim shrugged his shoulders, not knowing the answer to her question. "weird." valerie stated. "hey, how about i stay with you, just until you're out of the hospital."

"sure, i could use some company." tim agreed before taking valerie to the doctor. tim sat down on the bed, whilst valerie watched the doctor lift the light and put it up to tim's eyes, watching to see for anything that doesn't look right.

the doctor put the light down, holding her hand on tim's shoulder. "everything looks normal." the doctor told him with a smile. "people get in accidents. even cops." the doctor reassured him, lifting her file and pen.

"what do they call it when a doctor has an accident?" tim asked blanky, lifting his eyebrows as she wrote something down in her file.

"malpractice." she told him, looking back up from her book.

"well, we're both held to a higher standard for a good reason." tim said with a loud sigh. "how is she?" tim looked over at the girl he got in the accident with, causing valerie to follow his eyes. she had curly, blonde hair and a man was stood beside her bed, holding onto her shoulder.