Chapter 13 - Trust

The dinner seems to drag on forever as I sit there trying to avoid the glaring gazes from all around me, as if it wasn't enough with Catherine hate filled eyes and the curious ones I had already prepared for prior to the dinner, now I also have to deal with Legions and Caspians.

I'm not sure what has possessed Legion to look at me with such intensity but based on the shift in Caspians eyes when Legion entered, I take it it has something to do with his cousin.

I dare to look up through my lashes though while still keeping my head low. I'm met with the same  cold silver eyes looming over me as before so I drop my gaze instantly. A nervous lump forms in my throat as I start to question if I did something to deserve his icy glare.

I also dare to look sideways to see if at least Caspian starring has stopped. Luckily it seems it has, although his eyes are now firmly glued to Legion.

He must've noticed me looking at him however, as his eyes meet mine seconds after and I again drop my gaze swiftly.

Deciding that I've had enough, I hurriedly try to finish my meal. I swallow the food quickly hoping that some of it might take the lump in my throat with it, but alas that doesn't happen. When I'm finally done with my food, I await the perfect time to excuse myself just like I've seen others do throughout the dinner.

The longer I wait the more I start to feel frozen in my place so I simply force my body to stand up after a few moments of building up the courage to do so, hoping that no one will stop me.

Caspian immediately matches my action and gets up as well. He surprisingly takes a hold of my hand as his eyes find mine yet again. "Allow me to walk you out, Your Highness." He sounds respectful despite his odd behavior only moments ago and his harsh eyes have been replaced by casual ones.

I look around nervously before deciding on a reply and realize that many eyes are still on me, including a certain pair that almost seem to be shooting ice. Not wishing to decline him in front of everyone, I ignore Legion and return my attention to him, nodding silently.

A satisfied smirk forms on his face. He then grips my hand tighter as he ushers me along. If it wasn't for Caspians tugging I'm sure I would've been stuck in place.

As we move towards the doors I peer in Legions direction nervous to see his reaction. Just as I anticipated he looks just about ready to break something. I'm not sure what his problem is or if it perhaps is with me...

Legion gets up abruptly not long after I look at him and he heads straight towards us. Caspian doesn't seem to notice as we reach the doors where two guards open them for us, instead his attention is directed towards me. "Shall I follow you to your room as well, Your Highness?" At his question my eyes shift back to Caspian after having been glued to the tensed man heading our way, but before I can decline, Legions voice interrupts us.

"I believe I can take it from here Caspian." His tone matches his exterior and I can sense an anger emanating from him.

Surprised Caspian turns to his cousin who stands tall behind him. Caspian let's go of my hand as a smug expression takes ahold of his face. "Why of course cousin, she's all yours." His voice displays a hint of playfulness in it, one that is clearly meant to provoke.

I don't dare to speak as the two men stand before each other, plus even if I tried I'm sure the lump in my throat would make it difficult. Looking around it seems I'm not the only one silent. Everyone in the room has become our audience as they watch our exchange unfold before them.