Barbarika

Barbarika was the grandson of Bhima. Son of Ghatotkachu. His mother Maurvi. Barbarika showed immense talent in martial arts from childhood. Seeing his mastery over archery, the gods were pleased and presented him with three arrows. With those three arrows, he was given a boon that he could not turn even in the mountains.

Lord Krishna realizes that if a warrior like a barbarika stands on the battlefield, the results will be reversed. Hence, to defeat the Barbarika, he confronts him in the form of a Brahmin.

Krishna mockingly asks Barbariku, 'What war are you going to take three or three arrows?'

'These three arrows are enough to end the war in a minute. My first arrow identifies what to punish. My second arrow identifies what to protect. My third arrow executes the punishment!' The barbarika replies.

Your words are not convincing. If what you say is true, shoot your first arrow at the Ravi leaves on this tree,' says Lord Krishna, provoking Barbariku.

Smiling at Krishna's words, the barbarian releases his first arrow to mark all the leaves on the Ravi tree. The arrow leaves its mark on all the branches on the tree and starts circling around Sri Krishna's feet.

Oh! It's like a leaf is stuck under your feet. Please move your foot aside' says the barbarian. When Lord Krishna moved his foot to the side, he noticed that there was a leaf there.

With that blow, all the doubts about Barbarik's talent are over for Krishna. 'What if he's on the battlefield!' He thinks By mistake the barbarian realizes that if he has to fight against the Pandavas, his arrows can hunt them down.

Barbarica! It is good that you stand on the weak side and want to fight. But whichever side you lend your support to... in a minute that side becomes stronger! Do you know that if you are fighting on the side of the Pandavas and the Kauravas, there will be no one left on the battlefield except you!' He explains that. Barbarika smiled at Lord Krishna's words and said 'What do you want so much!' He asks. To that, Lord Krishna asked, 'Before the Mahabharata war, the headof a hero needs to be sacrificed, as there is no other hero than you, give your head as a sacrifice'. With those words, Barbarik understands that the one who came is actually Lord Krishna. He is ready to sacrifice his head without reciprocation. But he wishes to see the battle of Kurukshetra and please grant his head the fortune of seeing that battle. Thus the barbarika head remains as a testimony of the Kurukshetra battle.

Then the barbarika happily cuts off his own head.

Krishna takes the head to a mound and places it in a place where the entire battle can be seen.