Chapter 5

'They aren't CIA' Alex thought 'or Byrne would already have burst through that door. It seemed like hours since the big guy and blonde dude had put him in here. It was an interrogation room, no doubt. Someone unlocked the door, and a small woman entered the room. She may be small, but her face and eyes were severe.

"Alex Rider, I am Matilda Webber. I just talked to Joe Byrne on the phone. I think we can work together."

She released him and led the way to a circular room with blurred windows.

***

From what Byrne had just told her, Matty knew that the kid was a piece of work. Spy since he was fourteen, a lot of traumas. She couldn't believe that the MI6 really did engage a kid to do their dirty work. She decided to debrief the team and then brought Alex to the war room to discuss Murdoc's case. Everyone in the room was now sitting except Alex who refused to sit.

"Listen, I can't tell you anything..." Alex started.

"Your phone and a little research did it for you" Riley cut him.

"Then you know I can't stay here. I have to do something to save her!"

"We ca help you save your friend," Mac offered.

"She is not just my friend; she is the only family I have left. I can't risk losing her. Again," he whispered at the end.

"We face Murdoc before; we can do it again!" Jack said.

"You don't understand, do you? Murdoc's just a bloody puppet!" Alex burst out.

Matty was taken aback, no one would dare call Murdoc a puppet, "You know who hired him, do you?"

"I can't t..." he started. He was interrupted by a video call displayed on the big screen in the war room.

"Murdoc" Mac stated angrily.

"Angus don't be that mad, I am not even calling about you, for now at least. I see you've met a little friend of mine. Now, Alex," he said looking at Alex, "I must say Scorpia isn't very happy about you taking your time to show up. I delivered your friend Jack to them today. She put up quite a fight. Not enough though. Meet me this afternoon where Alex Gardner liked to burn down boats." and to the attention of the rest of the group he added, "Scorpia has a new friend, pay attention Angus you would be next."

Just like that he ended up the call.

"You think Codex is rising, again?" Mac asked Matty.

"I don't know Mac."

"That's your problem, I have mine to fix on. Now bye." he said exciting the room.

***

"We can't let him go! He's going to get himself killed!" Mac shouted.

"I don't think he cares," Jack said.

"What?"

"I've seen men with that look, Mac. He is resigned to die. I don't even think he actually expect to come out of this alive."

"That doesn't mean we can't try to help him!" Riley replied.

"We will try, Riley" Matty promised, "Mac and Jack, you follow him; remember he's also our way to find Murdoc. Riley, you find where whoever we're up against are." 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here a new chapter. Hope you enjoyed it!

Aly McShizzle