† California †

David laughed amusedly when Killian came out with the last box that had shoes written on it

David laughed amusedly when Killian came out with the last box that had shoes written on it. He looked at the two smaller boxes of mixed things and the large suitcase he had placed behind the car and wondered if Bree thought he had brought a truck with him.

"I hope you have room for her and all her things," David said, wiping the sweat from his forehead with the small white towel. "I have to admit that I was a little hesitant that she would stay with you instead of the dorm, but... I guess I have to accept that my little girl is growing up."

"Ugh, that's disgusting Dad! Killian is like my brother and stop being so sentimental, I'm only a few hours away," said Bree who just come out the door.

David pointed his index finger at Killian and stared with a determined gaze. "No parties, no drugs, no late nights, and absolutely no unwanted pregnancies," he said, and Killian felt his Adam's apple bounce in his throat.

"I'll have my eyes on her all the time," he replied, glancing at Bree and back to David.

Bree began to giggle quietly, and David widened his eyes while his eyebrows were almost at his hairline.

"Of course, not all the time," Killian said quickly, clearing his throat.

While Bree hugged her father goodbye, Killian began to stow her things in the car, so they were ready to go. It was almost eight o'clock in the evening before they were on their way to California, and as he thought the roads were calmer in the evening.

 It was almost eight o'clock in the evening before they were on their way to California, and as he thought the roads were calmer in the evening

Killian yawned as he parked the car outside the door of his apartment at six in the morning. Bree had fallen asleep just after midnight, and he had to stay awake behind the wheel with music and energy drinks.

"Bree?" he said in a hoarse voice, gently shaking her shoulder. "Bree, we're here."

She looked around in confusion and yawned. "Sorry, I must have fallen asleep."

"I'm finally going to get some sleep too. I had to stop along the road a few times to stretch my legs and grab some fresh air so as not to fall asleep behind the wheel," he said, grabbing his jeans jacket in the back seat before opening the car door.