PART 33 - TIME TO JUMP

HARPER

"You never jump in with me. I always have to do it alone." Avery growls.

I flick my sunglasses to the top of my head and arch an eyebrow at her, looking over her tomboyish swimsuit in distaste then shake my head. My little sister might only be twelve but she's already developing bigger breasts than me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't envious of them as I'm practically flat chested in comparison, I'd kill to have her figure. Yet she never accepts my help to dress better. It's infuriating.

"Jumping from the drop off is your thing. You know I'll never do it." I say lazily before yawning. "Anyways, I want to sleep so leave me to sunbathe, will you?" As I go to lie back down.

"It's fun!" Avery snaps back ignoring my wishes. "Come on, just this one time we'll do it together then I'll never ask you again. Just-get-up."

I puff out some air as I look down at my brand-new cream and navy bathing suit. I look pretty cute today, the last thing I want to do is get soaking wet and wrinkled from jumping into the river. My plan was just to sunbath here and sleep, and that's what I intend to do.

"Go ahead, you have fun." I yawn once more lying back down, flicking my sunglasses back on then closing my eyes.

"Harper, wake up! I mean it. I'm not letting you fall back asleep." Avery growls loudly.

Sitting up onto my elbows I look back at my little sister's scowling face and huff. "What's your problem? Why can't you just leave me here. I'm happy. Go play on your own, will you?"

"No!" Avery yells back. "Just this once, come with me. I know you can do it. Then I'll never ask you too again. I don't want to do this alone this time."

I fully sit up and throw off my glasses, getting annoyed now. "And I told you I wanted to sleep."

Avery storms forward and stands over me looking furious. I squint looking up at her as the sun is right behind her and I struggle to see her face properly.

"Last chance, if you care about me at all. You'll make the jump." Avery says firmly, holding out her hand for me to take.

I look at Avery's outstretched hand and frown, something about this feels real familiar. Like I'm having Deja vu or something. But I don't get what her problem is, this is how we always spend our summers at Red River. I'll sit out and sunbathe whilst she jumps off the highest riverbank like the daredevil crazy girl she is. This is what always happens.

"Avery, I don't..."

"Last chance Harper, it's now or never. Jump with me." Avery says seriously.

I never make the jump.

I never go with her.

No matter how many times she asks, year after year I always refuse... but something about today feels different. I feel my wolf nudging me to go this time, urging me to take her hand.

Huffing once more, I run a hand through my golden locks and purse my lips stubbornly until Avery growls at me. Fuck it. Fine, I'll go. I finally take her hand and within a heartbeat Avery pulls me to my feet giggling as we stand at the end of the drop off.

"Now, it's pretty high. So, we're just gonna make a run and jump for it. No looking down. Got it." Avery smiles at me encouragingly.

"Well how high are we..." I stop talking as soon as I foolishly look over the edge and my heart starts to race when I realise, we're not in Red River after all.

I look around feeling confused to see we're not about to jump into the river, back home. We're on a cliff top. Large ocean waves are crashing beneath us against the rugged cliff face, and I instantly take a step back shaking my head.