Chapter 7

The Duke and Duchess of Ludwig, dressed in comfortable clothes, were making tea in the parlor.

A teacup was placed on the side of the table opposite them, as if they were making room for me.

"Greetings to the Duke and Duchess. Did you have a restful night?"

"I slept well, thanks to you. You must have been tired last night, and to be here greeting us this morning makes me wonder if you are too nervous."

"I rested well, too, thanks to the consideration of everyone in the mansion. Thank you."

Duke Ludwig's expression was a bit stiff, but the Duchess accepted my greeting with a rather generous expression.

I naturally sat down across from them and grabbed a cup of hot tea to drink.

As we made light conversation, they didn't ask me why I hadn't brought Killian with me or how my relationship with him was.

'Well, looking at the fact that they only prepared one cup of tea......'

It had already been reported that he had not slept in the bridal chamber last night.

They would have no reason to bring it up against him.

Instead, the Duke asked a question that seemed to be a subtle attack on me. "I know that the Count has raised you to be so precious and fine...... but I wonder if you know anything about being a hostess in a noble house, though of course you can start learning now."

This is where reading the original story really comes into play. If I'd been asked this question without thinking, I would have been stumped.

"I can manage cash flow and organize documents. Of course, if the Duke has separate teaching for that, please teach me and I will get up to speed as quickly as possible."

"Well...... it appears that the Count has certainly taught you that."

His tone was sarcastic, as if he thought I'd come to steal the family's financial records and internal documents.

"If you don't believe me, please teach me something else. I will do my best to learn."

"Ahem."

The Duke of Ludwig coughed unnecessarily, not expecting Edith to say that outright, and the Duchess glanced at him while patting him on the side.

Perhaps the Duchess would be more understanding than the Duke.

The Duchess smiled and answered on her husband's behalf, "I'm glad to hear you've been learning about accounting and organizing documents, then why don't you help me with my work starting in two weeks? It shouldn't be too difficult. If you want to take a break, you can start next month."

"Why wait until two weeks from now? I don't have anything to do anyway, so if you can just give me the job today, I will do my best."

Then, as an afterthought, I added, "Oh, and I'm sure you will need some time to reorganize things as well...... so feel free to call me whenever you need me, madam."

She'll probably have to leave out the documents she doesn't want me to see.

But the Duke and Duchess are veteran nobles who don't show their hearts in front of me.

"I'm not the kind of mother-in-law who puts my daughter-in-law to work as soon as she arrives. Besides, you'll need time to get the things you need to stay here."

"Thank you for your consideration."

"Speaking of which, if you need anything, let me know."

"Well, then...... would it be possible to get someone from a boutique if you don't mind?"