Chapter 2

The ride to the McInnes land was relatively short but felt like a lifetime. After Grace's not-so-positive interaction with James, the group remained mostly quiet during the ride. Faith tried to start a conversation again, but both her sister and the MacInnes were obviously annoyed at each other, so all her attempts failed miserably. When James declared they had arrived, and the car slid up the private road onto the most magnificent estate, everyone in the car took a deep breath.

The estate was a big old building full of character. With its stone walls, wooden trusses, and white windows, it was as if she had been plucked from the twenty-first century right to the past. Pine trees flanked each side of the private road up to the house. Grace was sure she saw someone guide a horse to the back of the estate, another man with a lawn mower, and yet another with big pots. She giggled at herself at the ridiculousness of it all. Imagine, Grace Campbell, staying at a Scottish Castle!

The sky had slowly but surely gone from a light blue to a deep purple and orange as they rode to the MacInnes' residence. The sunset in that part of the world took her breath away. Over the bright green meadows and black rocky hills, the colours turned magical, the sense of flowers and freshly mowed grass was a balm for the soul.

"Nothing like London" James mentioned from behind her, as he took their bags off the car.

Grace looked from over her shoulder and sighed internally at how amazingly gorgeous he looked with the sunset behind him, with the light gently touching his fiery hair.

"Not at all." Grace had to smile "It's nature at its finest, and it's quiet."

"And, normally, free of sassenach."

Grace squinted her eyes at him from over her shoulder. She could swear she saw a hint of humor in his piercing blue eyes and grimace before he disappeared into the boot of the car again.

"Thank God we're here." Grace grunted at her sister, as she pulled one of her bags to her side "That man is such an ass."

"You're exaggerating." Faith assured her "He is just skeptical, he didn't mean to offend us."

"Always the positive one, aren't you?" Grace turned her frown into a smile, kissing her sister's cheek.

"Please, leave the bags, I'll have someone take them to your rooms." James advised them, taking Grace's cabin bag from her hands "My father is expecting you."

Grace nodded and dropped the bag. He gestured with a polite flair of his pale hand for the sisters to follow him through the tall front door. Faith followed, but Grace stopped in her tracks to take the whole building in. It was an imponent and quite charming stone grey building, with white windows that had been renovated to withstand the twenty-first-century weather. To the west, there was a tall tower with tall ceilings and windows - the light in there had to be amazing, Grace was certain. To the southwest of the building, she could see a more modern architecture. It was an extension to bring a more modern twist to the castle, she believed. The fields around were bright green, with plenty of full trees, and behind the castle, imponent giant stone hills. There was also a lake and plenty of paths to follow into the woods, hills, and to the village nearby.

"Are you joining us, Miss Campbell?" James called Grace, as his father already welcomed Faith Campbell, by the entrance.

"Oh... yes, I'm sorry" Grace mumbled, embarrassed.

She quickened her steps to join the group, all the while noticing all the details of the entrance. The wooden door was not original but gave the estate character as if it were.

As she got to the last step, James' hand was offered once more. Grace thought that was... incredibly strange. Her eyes crossed with his and she felt her mouth dry. God, he was such a Mr. Darcy character, wasn't he? And she was a sucker for those! Clearing her throat, she mumbled a thank you and accepted his warm hand to walk into the castle.