Chapter 3

Lady Margaret was already waiting for Grace in the garden. She loved it there, under the Autumn sun, in the back gardens. The stone patio and stairs were old, she had been an advocate to maintain the most ancient features of the gardens for as long as possible. From the patio, in her white garden sitting set, Margaret could see the entirety of the lake, the trees, the cleaned and tended paths, all the colourful flowers and the many animals that made MacInnes castle their home.

Margaret looked over her shoulder when she heard heels approaching from the tall and long double French doors of the building. Grace was smiling as she joined her and sat across from her at the table. She wore a blue dress, beige heels and a gorgeous smile. A beautiful woman, comfortable in her skin, with a smile and in a dress, was a lovely combination.

"Three pm, right on time." Margaret congratulated, as she set aside the thick book she was reading "I took the liberty to have tea, biscuits and some finger sandwiches, prepared for us."

"Oh, it all looks delicious!" Grace smiled, accepting the beautiful china cup with tea "And this is a lovely garden, thank you for the invite."

"Well, yes the gardens are lovely." Margaret said with a small smile, adjusting her straw hat "But I must admit I do have ulterior motives to invite you here."

"Oh?" Grace was now interested "Let us hope not to conspire on how to torture your poor grandson again. We did make him uncomfortable last night."

"He'll get over it." Margaret chuckled, "You should consider trying to make him uncomfortable more often; he needs it."

"I'll... consider it." Grace lied; she had no interest in making James MacInnes anything but distant from her "So, what is the ulterior motive, then?"

Grace grabbed her favourite, strawberry custard tart, and took a nice bite. The pastry was sweet and creamy, absolutely perfect. She dropped the satisfied smile when Lady Margaret showed her one of her books, Dreams in the Wind.

"Explanation?" Margaret tilted a brow.

"Long...?" Grace shrugged with a wince.

"We have time." Margaret shrugged as well, taking off her reading glasses and setting them over the book "So. Why is G. R. Campbell, an anonymous author, and why do you hide who you are?"

"I love writing. I hate the fame that came with it. I enjoy the money" Grace shrugged, non-affected.

"A forward woman. I like it." Margaret nodded, leaning back onto the chair "I am old, Miss Campbell, but I am not stupid. Your surname was familiar. It kept me up all night. I thought it was simply a coincidence." She continued, sipping her tea "However, you are quick with your words, you are naturally charming and funny-"

"I certainly am not," Grace snorted.

"-and you are very... vague about your work, where you come from, etc. I added two plus two."

"A savvy woman" Grace chuckled.

"So" Margaret leaned over the table, crossing her arms over the book "what are you writing now, and what is my part in it?"

Grace laughed loudly at that.

"You are definitely my favourite woman, Lady Margaret." Grace assured her "And, I'll have you know, you do have a part in my next book. You play the tough and refined leader."

"My, oh my." Margaret smiled, satisfied "I believe that'll do."

"Happy to oblige." Grace winked, only to immediately turn more serious "I am even embarrassed to ask this, but... you will keep my secret... a secret, yes?"