- chapter 2 -

CORDELIA

Cordelia's heart dropped. Her eyes filled with tears. Was this really happening? Finnick couldn't be picked. He was only fourteen. The movement from the boys' side as Finnick walked toward the stage. She wanted to reach out, to run to him and stop him. To call out at least. But she was frozen. She couldn't breathe. Her body wouldn't allow her to. She was in shock. Her legs shook and she struggled to stand.

Finnick stood on the stage and looked out at the crowd, a forced smirk on his face as he cockily waved at the crowd. While he looked over at the crowd his eyes met hers and softened. His beautiful sea-green eyes. Had they always been so easy to get lost in? Was she burning this image in her memory? He saw her not breathing and motioned for her to breathe. It was subtle and could be played off as a cocky gesture but it helped her.

Air flowed back into her. It allowed her brain a moment of thought. Finnick was strong and he wasn't an idiot, as much as his actions would suggest sometimes. He was one of the smartest people she knew. She recognized his beginning of building a persona. It was something he pointed out to her every year. Those who had a story behind them did better when it came to sponsors, who, in a pinch could be the difference between life and death.

Elora presented the two as 'our tributes from District Four' but Cordelia couldn't focus on anything the escort said. She still couldn't focus on the mayor as he finished the rest of his yearly speech. All she could do was stare at Finnick with tear-filled eyes. When the two tributes shook hands and were guided away she finally came to her senses. Regardless of what had happened, she needed to see Finnick. Now. Whatever she was feeling, he would be feeling tenfold.

Using her small frame she pushed through the crowds and raced to the Justice building. When she reached it, the peacekeeper outside looked at her.

"I'm here to see Finnick Odair." Her voice was soft, and unsure of herself speaking any louder. She was led to a chair and made to sit. If she didn't know his parents would already be in there she would've been confused. It felt like hours as she sat in waiting. In reality, it was no more than five minutes later before the two emerged from the room sobbing. They didn't notice her sitting there and she didn't blame them. She couldn't. Looking at the peacekeeper at the door, they nodded and let her in.

Finnick stood arms open ready to catch her when she threw herself at him.

"Finnick..." She choked out, pulling him impossibly closer to her and leaving her head in the crook of his neck.

"Delia." He breathed. He buried his face in her hair and attempted to commit everything about her to memory. Her size compared to him, her warmth, the subtle smell of vanilla and coconut, the reds of her hair, and her pale skin that was littered with faded freckles. The same ones he always referred to as constellations, matching them with the stars in the sky. Which would be a constant reminder of her.

Cordelia could feel her tears escaping. They ran down his face and onto his neck.

"Oh, Finn... I know you can win. You have to win. You have to come home." She could feel his shirt bunch up in her hands, but she didn't care.

He held her away from him, he took in the features of her face as she took the time to do the same.

"I promise, I'll do everything I can to win. I'll come home." He brushed the tears off her cheeks with his thumbs and smiled at her.

"Good. I can't keep this forever. You have to come and take it back, once you win." She motioned to the cardigan she was still wearing. He laughed. It was nice to hear him laugh, especially with the tear tracks down his face and eyes red and puffy from crying.