- chapter 4 -

CORDELIA

Cordelia couldn't think straight. Today was the beginning of the games. In the morning her parents had scared her when she sat down for breakfast, even though she would refuse to eat anything anyway. Her mother had tapped her shoulder to get her attention and Cordelia let out a yelp and jumped. She spun to see her mother's confused face and her father looking at her like she'd gone crazy.

It wasn't too far off. The stress of knowing Finnick was going to be trapped in the games. Just a little fourteen-year-old boy from Four against the rest of the Districts. Cordelia wanted to cry, but her tears were long gone. She'd cried herself dry the night before after she'd made her way back home and her parents had unintentionally reminded her that the games began the next day.

Now that day had come.

When she'd walked to Finnick's house to join his parents in watching the games, as much as she wanted nothing more than to just avoid watching, the District Four people watched her walk through town with pity. Kids from school had come up and attempted to comfort her. Academy students had tried to encourage her with tales of Finnick's trident skill. But the chances of a trident being in the Cornucopia let alone the arena were slim to none.

So none really helped. Instead their comments were more successful in making her uncomfortable. She wasn't used to the amount of attention Finnick's games were bringing her. Usually, these people only approached her to talk to Finnick, and he would politely greet them before excusing both of them or at least let Cordelia escape the interaction.

Once at the door, she didn't bother knocking. Just walked straight in and hugged Finnick's parents as they cried. Cordelia could feel herself weaken with every passing moment and she wanted nothing more than to disappear.

The usually soft and comfortable couch made Cordelia cringe. Instead, she opted to sit on the floor. Finnick wouldn't have comforts like this, so neither would she.

Finnick's parents sat down. His mother sat curled up directly behind Cordelia. She could feel hands grip her shoulders. It wasn't painful, but the grip was firm. A grounding reminder, for Finnick's mother. Cordelia could hardly watch. As soon as Caeser and Claudius came on she'd buried her face into the couch and Finnick's mother's legs. Unable to bring herself to face the screen.

"I think I'm going to be sick," Cordelia murmured.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Claudius paused for effect, "Let the 65th Hunger Games begin! And may the odds be ever in your favour," Once Claudius had finished announcing, the countdown from 60 began.

She couldn't watch. The bloodbaths were so brutal. There was a high chance he'd be fine, but there was always the chance he wouldn't be. She refused to see if he survived the initial fight. As soon as the countdown sounded Cordelia could feel herself hiding further away, forcing out all sound. No matter how much she tried, the boom of the cannon shook her to her core. It was one of the worst sounds and it signified the death of a tribute. Each time it sounded she whimpered. She had no idea how Finnick was doing if he was even still alive. Instead, she waited to hear the screams of his mother and the cries of his father at his death. If she were to watch him die, she'd break completely.

But it never came. At least, there were no agonizingly loud cries of pain. Not like there usually was when a tribute died early on. Only relieved sobs. The canon booms had stopped.

"He made it, he made it." His mother was sobbing

"He's okay."

It was almost like a dream. Watching Finnick walking away from the Cornucopia, spear in hand, with the tributes from Districts One and Two.