Chapter 58: The assassin revealed. (And, wow, thats a lot of monsters)

"Listen to me!" Erebus said through the fiery apparition, speaking through it like a radio.

The assassin looked at it. "I am listening."

Grey flames spluttered off of the abomination, and Erebus growled. "No, you aren't. Need I remind you what exactly I'll do if -"

"Okay!" The assassin snapped. "Tell me the super convoluted plan again."

"It's not convoluted," said the frustrated Erebus. "It's simple. You kill the goddess, and I-"

"I can't kill a goddess!" The assassin exclaimed.

Grey fire surrounded her in a large circle, making her eyes widen in fear.

"I have had enough of your backtalk," he said threateningly. "You have one of the most powerful weapons of this age as a HAIRCLIP, and, well..."

He chuckled darkly. "You have abilities that only mortal children of mine would have. Use the gifts I have bestowed upon you."

The assassin gulped. "Th-those aren't gifts. You forced them upon me through torture. The only reason I stick around is because you have my fam -"

The apparition shot it's hand out, and the sound of a slap echoed through the empty warehouse that they camped in. The assassin fell to the ground, clutching her cheek, and the fire expanded to the ceiling. The apparition walked to her, picking her up by her neck.

"Listen to me here and now," Erebus said, his voice crackling. "If you backtalk to me or even show an ounce of resistance again, I will kill you and torture your parents until the end of time."

She grasped at his fiery hands, trying to get him to let go.

He gripped tighter. "Do. You. Understand."

She frantically nodded, and he let go. She fell onto the floor, clutching her burned throat, trying to breathe. The fire died down and disappeared, leaving burn marks on the floor.

"Get ready," Erebus said. "We're leaving soon."

The assassin nodded silently, desperately wishing to leave soon so her friends could stop scouting and return to her.
----------------------------------------------------------
"Dear gods..." Pheobe whispered.

Her and Thalia peeked over the ridge, watching the trail of monsters march forward. There was easily over 500, all moving in the same direction.

"When are we going to get there?" A cyclops groaned out.

An Empousai slapped the back of his head. "Enjoy your time walking! Once we get to that wretched camp, we'll be fighting!"

The cyclops rubbed the back of his head sadly. "Okay," he mumbled out.

In the front, back, right, and left of the group of monsters were soldiers outfitted in pitch black armor, all about double or triple the size of Thalia. They herded the monsters in the right direction with their weapons and let off an aura that promised pain and darkness.

Thalia and Pheobe dipped their heads below the ridge and looked at each other, terrified.

"We need to tell Lady Artemis," Thalia whispered.

Pheobe nodded, and they left, trying their best to stay quiet. One of the armored beings, the closest one to the ridge, turned its head and looked at the ridge through the trees of the forest.

He sniffed the air and grunted, gripping his spear. "Not buttered toast."

He turned his head and continued marching along with the monsters, thinking of his friend. Within the confines of his armor, he heard a soft meow.