Chapter Five

Emery Gray

"Well, there are only two beds." Axton helpfully concluded as he set down his backpack next to one of the side tables. "Which one of you lucky boys wants to snuggle with me tonight?"

Apollo shook his head. "I'm out. You're a leech."

Alaric dismissed his friend. "Nope."

My eyes widened as they shot to Axton, who was grinning like a fool. "Looks like you're the winner. I'm huge on snuggling. So, I apologize in advance if I am all wrapped around you by the morning."

"Oh, I..." I cleared my throat. "I'm..."

Alaric saved me by putting a hand on my shoulder. I tipped my head back to look up at the tall man who trapped me in his grasp. "He's joking. Not about liking to snuggle, but he won't actually snuggle you in his sleep. If you want to sleep with Apollo, I can deal with Axton."

I slowly shook my head. "It's okay, it's not a big deal." I dropped my head to look at Axton again. "As long as you don't mind that..."

Axton leveled me with his stare. "Trust me, I don't care that you like boys. I like girls, but here's the thing–I'm comfortable with my sexuality. Toxic masculinity has never been for me. When I'm upset, I tend to lie with one of these two losers. I'm a huge teddy bear at heart. Mostly. Kind of. Eh, it's there."

My shoulders dropped as the tension left my body. "Then, okay. That's fine."

Axton winked at me, and I swore it was like staring at a brand new person I'd never met before. "I'm big on pillow talk."

"Doesn't that usually take place between people who just had sex?" I angled my head. "Are you hinting at something?"

Oh god, why did I say that? There was no way I was getting past that comment. Not with the way my cheeks heated with embarrassment. Holy shit, I needed to think more about what came out of my mouth before I spoke it into existence. I couldn't reach out and take that back anymore.

Axton chuckled. "You're kinda cute, do you know that?" He stepped toward me. "Do you want a kiss, Boy Scout? I'm all for taking one for the team."

Alaric, still behind me, reached over my shoulder, and pushed his hand into Axton's chest to prevent him from getting any closer. "Okay, we need to figure out what we're doing. Enough flirting, Ace. Save it for the pillow talk."

Axton crossed his arms, scowling at his best friend. "I will give him the best pillow talk he's ever had."

I blinked. "I've never had pillow talk."

Those blue eyes flickered to mine. "Don't stay after the job is done?"

I flushed. "More like they don't stay when the job is done. So, no. I haven't."

Axton curled his lip, and for a devastating moment, I thought he was angry at me. Until he spoke. "See, what is wrong with people? You can't use them to get off and wave goodbye. You can at least have a decent conversation. The other person helped you get off, for god's sake!"

Apollo barked out a laugh. "You're very passionate about your stance on pillow talk, Ace."

He rolled his eyes, facing Apollo who sat on the end of one of the two beds. "I'm firm on my stance that humans are more than a warm body to use to get off. Thank you very much. Get fucked."

"You first." Apollo grinned. "So you can have your precious pillow talk."

Axton waved off his best friend before stomping like an angry bear toward the bathroom and closing the door. I glanced at Apollo, then toward the closed bathroom door. I couldn't particularly look at Alaric without being obvious because he still hadn't moved from behind me. I didn't know how to feel about that. Warm. Maybe a little safe. All of the things I wasn't supposed to be feeling.