Chapter Twenty-Eight: One Month Later

Alaric Benson

I was standing outside with snow raining over me in the midst of the night sky. I was frozen and not because of the cold. No. In my hand were the results of my GED test. Behind me, Apollo's family, my friends, and my boyfriend were inside the house. I had no idea what they were up to. I'd just gotten back from an overnight trip to Wilmington to attend a chorus concert for Harper. The rest of my friends and Emery couldn't attend on such short notice. Emery had prior engagements with his parents. My friends were doing...whatever the fuck they did.

Instead of running inside to see everyone, I was staring at whether I completely blew my GED test or not. I couldn't open it. The last time I did, I found out I failed. If I didn't pass this time, I was afraid of how long it would take me to work up the courage to do it again.

Yet, standing here wasn't going to change the results inside and I needed to know. So, I tore open the envelope with my teeth. Anxiety started to course through me as I shakingly took out the piece of paper inside. My heart was beating so fast, I could hear the pulse in my ears and nothing else. It felt like something was stuck in my throat as I slowly unfolded the paper.

Then, I paled.

Math: 154 Pass

Social Studies: 177 Pass: College Ready

Science: 182 Pass: College Ready

Language Arts: 168 Pass

"Holy shit."

I kept reading over the results like they weren't registering in my brain. I fucking passed. Three out of four of them mean I don't have to take an entry test at the community college for those courses. I always knew math was my weakest subject—I still passed it. I fucking passed. Holy shit. I completed my GED.

My shoes scraped against the concrete as I turned toward the massive house behind me. Several lights were on, and I was in shock. Trying to figure out if this was real life.

Over the last month, I grew my relationship with Emery. I studied with all of my friends, my family, and even Aurora when she had time. Emery mended things with Jason—the boys listened to me about needing to be kinder to those in our friend group, and things have been going great.

Now, I could go inside and tell them that all of their hard work paid off. All of my hard work paid off. I could go to college next fall with my friends. I had a plan for the future. And now I could seriously think about what I wanted to do with my life.

I skipped up the steps and walked inside. I kicked my shoes off, shoving them to the side with my foot before I walked into the living room. And the sight I happened upon wasn't what I expected. Or maybe it was.

Emery was twirling around with a long piece of garland while Val laughed. When they met, they hit it off immediately. She adopted him right into the clan of misfit kids and made sure to tell him he would be over for every dinner possible. Emery spent a lot of time here in the last month.

I even met his parents, and as nervous as I was—they liked me just fine. They weren't home very often, so Emery stayed here during their absence. Now happened to be one of those times when they were absent—he called me early today to tell me they'd be gone for three weeks this time. He tried to say he'd be fine at home on his own, but I told him he had family at Apollo's house that wanted him there.

I wanted him here.

Now, I was watching him fit right in.

Axton was sipping what I assumed was eggnog while Apollo talked with his dad on the couch. My second family. My family. I was completely happy with how my life was going, and in my hand was the next step to my future. The one I finally get to write for myself now that the roadblock of not having my high school diploma was out of the way.