Chapter 5 (lurking)

As I jolted awake to the piercing screams, a horrifying realization washed over me—the beach and the mysterious rooms were mere dreams. Yet, an unsettling discrepancy lingered. The commotion on the second floor of our school building drew my attention, and there, a stark reality unfolded. Zoren, my friend, lay lifeless. I grappled with the dissonance between my dreams and the harsh truth; the line between nightmare and reality blurred.

Questioning the circumstances of his demise, my gaze fixated on a shadowy hand hovering over Zoren's motionless body. Fear clenched at my core, reluctant to witness the vivid aftermath of his tragic end. Trembling, I couldn't shake the thought, "I believed it was something that would fade away, but it didn't, and it claimed my friend's life." Strangely, my sympathy for him waned after confirming the validity of the prank he orchestrated. Unease crept in as classmates revealed that, during the prank, Zoren seemed reluctant, keeping his head low.

My determination to uncover the identity of his blackmailer intensified. Days passed, and the bizarre occurrences ceased, leaving me with the certainty that the ominous black figure would return, harboring more secrets and malevolence. Dark days enveloped our school, prompting officials to advise us to stay home for a few months due to the recent tragedy. Fears festered, a sickening premonition that someone close would be the shadow's next victim. I yearned to thwart it, but a sense of helplessness pervaded, realizing everyone, including myself, was in peril.

A month drifted by, and a semblance of normalcy returned, yet the haunting aura clung to me. Reluctant to ascend the second floor after the tragedy, rumors swirled, speculating suicide or the wrath of a vengeful spirit. Only I held the truth, but the mystery deepened—how was Zoren's lifeless body transported to the second floor? The shadows of uncertainty cast their lingering silhouette over the corridors of our once mundane school, concealing the truth I desperately sought.