Chapter 9 (Darkness Closing In)

Darkness. It surrounds us, enveloping everything in its ominous embrace.

Earlier that day:

We arrived at our first stop, an old chapel buried beneath layers of volcanic ash from a past eruption. As Yuri and I explored, snapping photos of the eerie surroundings, I caught sight of something unsettling—a hand emerging from the shadows, a lone appendage reaching out from the depths of darkness.

Although it seems like a peaceful place, I can still sense fear from the dark, shadowy figure relentlessly following me. Yuri and I stayed together as he noticed that I was feeling uncomfortable being alone. I thanked him, and we roamed the whole chapel until we reached one room where there's a gigantic bell. Then I noticed something: there's a hand peeking out from the end of the bell. I could feel that Yuri could not see it, so I didn't say a thing about the hand, although the fear of the dark shadow revealing its inner self scared me.

After our first stop, we were ordered to get back on the bus. While waiting for the other students to board, I suddenly glanced at the church window and saw it: the dark shadow waving at me. The only difference was that its hands weren't shadowy anymore; they were human hands, and its arms were visible too. Only the body, head, and legs remained shadowy. Will I be able to uncover its identity during our field trip? I questioned myself, feeling a mixture of curiosity and unease.

After the teachers confirmed everyone was on the bus, the driver started to drive. As Yuri and I chatted, the noise of everyone's excitement about our next destination filled the air, and I felt a sense of comfort wash over me. It took two hours for us to arrive at our destination, an aquarium park where we could see different types of fishes.

We were ushered towards the sea lion show, and everyone was having a great time. It was delightful to watch the animals perform tricks and make funny noises, eliciting cheers and applause from the crowd. Suddenly, amidst the excitement, I felt the urge to pee. I asked one of the staff where the bathrooms were, and he kindly guided me. As we walked, I couldn't help but notice the dark shadow lurking from afar, sending a shiver down my spine. With Yuri not by my side, but instead a stranger whom I didn't know, I felt even more uneasy.

Upon reaching the bathroom, I quickly did what I needed to and hurried out. The staff continued to guide me back, but I couldn't shake the feeling that the shadow was closer than before. Fear gripped me, but I kept it hidden, afraid of being judged as crazy for seeing something others couldn't. Sitting beside Yuri, he sensed my unease and offered reassurance, comforting me with his words.

After the sea lion show, we were escorted to the final show of the day, a dolphin show. It was held in a wide ocean setting, and I could see the excitement in the students' faces as the dolphin trainer welcomed us and introduced the three dolphins swimming gracefully across the water. Yet, something felt off, a nagging sense of unease that I couldn't quite pinpoint.

Two hours passed, and the dolphin show came to an end. As we were leaving, a sudden dizziness overcame me, and the world seemed to spin. Before I knew it, I had fallen into the water.

When I regained consciousness, I found myself alone in a dark room. Fear coursed through my veins as I recognized the familiar surroundings—I was back where I had been attacked by the shadow, only this time, I wasn't trapped. The room seemed endless, but I spotted a faint escape door. As I ran towards it, a familiar voice echoed in the darkness. "So we meet again," the dark figure said. "What do you want from me?" I asked, my voice trembling. "I just want to warn you about your schoolmates," it replied cryptically. "You and your precious schoolmates will face darkness like never before. You'll feel hopeless after what you'll go through." Before I could respond or ask for clarification, the figure vanished, leaving me alone in the darkness. And then, I woke up on our bus. Leaving me wondering what the shadow meant, we're about to face darkness.