Chapter 3 - A meeting offline

[Lex POV]

The morning air was crisp as I stepped off the bus, the distant sound of engines revving echoing through the air. Zandvoort circuit was only a couple of hundred meters away and I couldn't wait to get my chance to drive a car on it.

I glanced at my watch, cursing under my breath as I realized I was running late. I started to walk faster and hurried across the street, worried that Max wasn't going to wait for me. Who knew how much patience an F1 driver really possessed? Maybe he would just drive off if I didn't show up on time?

And then, in a heart-stopping moment, I found myself face to face with a yellow Renault Clio hurtling toward me at breakneck speed. All I could do was stare, I didn't even have time to leap out of the way, my heart pounding in my chest as the car zoomed towards me with screeching brakes, stopping only inches in front of my face.

Anger surged through me as I slammed my fist against the hood of the car, the metallic clang reverberating loudly through the air. "Watch where you're going, you maniac!" I shouted, my voice laced with fury. I didn't wait for the driver to get out or to respond in another way. Instead, I sprinted the rest of the way across the street, intent on not losing even more time.

[Max Pov]

I glanced at the dashboard clock, cursing inwardly as I realized I was running behind schedule. I had forgotten how sluggish this car could be, the engine struggling as soon as I got on the gas pedal. My mind wandered, my thoughts drifting to Lex. I couldn't help but wonder what she looked like, what she sounded like...

But my thoughts were abruptly interrupted by a girl that ran out on the road. With a jolt of surprise, I slammed on the brakes, the tires screeching against the asphalt. All I could do was pray that my reflexes were quick enough to stop the car. It stopped just in front of her, my heart beating like crazy, watching her stare at the car with wide eyes. She didn't even seem to see me through the tinted glass of the window. 

Instead she angrily pound her fist against the hood of my car, leaving behind a small dent. For a moment, time seemed to stand still as I gazed at her, my mind racing with a whirlwind of emotions. Who was this girl?!

And then, just as quickly as she had appeared, she was gone, disappearing into the crowd. With a bewildered shake of my head, I continued on toward the parking lot.

[Lex Pov]

I arrived at the spot we had agreed to meet at, scanning the bustling parking lot for any sign of Max. But as the minutes ticked by, my heart sank further with each passing car... Had he already left? Was I too late?

Anxious thoughts swirled in my head as I watched the different cars pull in, my eyes darting from one vehicle to the next in search of the familiar figure of Max Verstappen. Embarrassingly enough I had googled him, just to be sure. I knew how he looked. Everyone did... didn't they? I just... wanted to be sure. But he was nowhere to be found, and a sense of disappointment washed over me.

And then, I saw it: the yellow car that had nearly hit me earlier, pulling into a parking space right in front of me. My heart skipped a beat as I watched in disbelief, I hadn't paid attention to driver before, but now...

There he was, sitting behind the wheel with a mischievous grin on his face, his eyes sparkling with amusement as he caught sight of me. Heat rose to my cheeks as I met his gaze, embarrassment flooding through me.

[Max Pov]

I pulled into the closest parking space towards the front, right where Lex and I were supposed to meet. I turned off the car and looked out from behind the wheel of my car, a sense of realization washing over me, as I watched the girl, that was standing in our agreed location. How could I have been so blind? The girl I had nearly hit, the one who had banged her fist against the hood of my car in a fit of anger - that was Lexie.