Chapter 18 - Confessions

[Lex Pov]

We had arrived at the Belgian GP as one of the last teams. It didn't help much. The scrutiny of the media weighed heavily on my shoulders, and reporters flanked me wherever I went, bombarding me with questions.

Horner had told me not to say anything and I followed his advice. He had said they would eventually get bored and leave me alone, but so far I had no luck.

The energy at a Grand Prix usually felt electric, invigorating. Not this time. This time it felt suffocating.

Even our garage had changed. Security now surrounded my car and mechanics had to ask permission before even touching it, always working in groups of three or more. It was a jarring sight, a reminder of the chaos that had ensued within the team since the investigation.

I checked off a few more things and made my way out back. I needed to cool off. Away from the prying eyes of the reporters.

I was taken aback when Helmut emerged from the shadows. The old man wasn't usually someone I would describe as stealthy.

"Ah, Lex! How are you feeling? Any better?" Helmut asked, trying to sound cheerful.

"I'm ready for the next race," I replied, trying to hide the true unease I felt at the unfolding situation.

Helmut smiled, but there was something sad in his gaze. "Good. Well, I'm not sure who you are going to be up against this weekend, but I'm sure you'll beat whoever it is."

His words confused me. What did he mean? I knew my other 19 competitors – although Max was the only real competitor – if I was being realistic. A knot started to form in my stomach.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked.

"Haven't you heard?" Helmut's eyes widened. "The FIA has given Max a three-race time-out while they consider whether or not he has had anything to do with what happened to your car."

Shock coursed through me like an electric current, my mind reeling in disbelief. "What?! They can't do that. He had nothing to do with it! Why hasn't he said anything?!" My voice rose with indignation, my fists clenching at my sides.

Helmut shrugged, no longer trying to hide his disappointment. "I heard the FIA officials talking. I would be surprised if they let him come back after that. I think they'll try and banish him for good."

***

Rushing through the crowded paddock, I couldn't clear the unsettling news about Max's suspension from my mind. The FIA's decision to ban Max from the next three races was completely unfair. It would ruin his chance at the WDC.

I didn't even want to think about the fact that they could ban him from sport permanently. I had to do something.

I marched towards the media building, where the FIA also had their headquarter, when a familiar figure stepped in my path.

My father - his mere appearance made my blood run cold.

He turned to face me, a smug smile playing at the corners of his lips. "Ah, Lexie! Well, well, if it isn't my little racecar driver."

"Dolf," I greeted tersely, my voice tinged with apprehension.

"Finally heard about Max's little time-out? Shame, isn't it? Red Bull is going downhill. I told you, you should have stayed in my team."

My jaw clenched with frustration, but I forced myself to maintain my composure. The fact that he saw the team as his property was typical. "Max had nothing to do with what happened to my car. I'm sure it will all sort itself out," I retorted defiantly.