Chapter 11 - Desire

[Lex Pov]

I had done it! I had really done it! I had just won the Monaco Grand Prix. I screamed into the mic. "Thank you! Thank you for trusting me! Thank you for letting me drive!" I just couldn't contain my excitement.

"Very good job, Lexie!" Christian remarked through my headphones.

"I know Max was technically in P1, and I was only in P2, but then at the start, he seemed to have some issues and I thought... go, you know?" I asked, unsure if I had made the right decision.

"Don't worry about it! You did everything correctly!" Helmut added. "Get back to the paddock. The media is waiting. You are the first woman to win the Monaco GP in Formula 1. I didn't think I would ever see it!"

As soon as I stopped the car, I was surrounded by a horde of people. There were so many cameras flashing, that I was sure I would go blind before I even reached the podium.

The interest of the media was so big, that they didn't even allow me into the cooldown room. Instead, Christian grabbed my arm and started giving interviews immediately. Once he was done I was rushed towards the podium, where someone handed me a trophy, a medal and a gigantic bottle of champagne. It was unbelievably heavy, and I had trouble holding it up.

I grinned at Max, who laughed and showered me in champagne until I was soaked. At that moment, I didn't think I had ever been that happy.

Even wet, sticky and exhausted, I felt amazing.

I didn't get the chance to talk to Max without the cameras, so I decided to text him. I wanted to celebrate this win tonight.

I showered, dried my hair and had dinner - but still no text back from Max. It wasn't like him to be so unresponsive. Maybe his phone was dead? Odd... I would have bet money that he would have liked to hang out tonight. Was he mad at me because I won the race? No... Max wasn't a sore loser. I had won against him before, online and then in the real world, back in my karting days, and he had never behaved like this.

Whatever. I didn't want to spend the night of my very first victory in Formula 1 sitting in my hotel room and sulking. I wanted to go out. So I grabbed my phone from the bed and texted Dani.

Why did no one want to let me walk through Monaco? The city was hardly scary

Why did no one want to let me walk through Monaco? The city was hardly scary. I shook my head and headed back into the bathroom, to do my hair and make-up.

Daniel picked me up exactly when he said he would, texting me that he was outside. I took the elevator downstairs to the lobby of my hotel and watched myself in its mirror. I looked good. I had chosen a short black dress, that had a cutout under my breasts and had kept my hair open.

Daniel whistled when he saw me in the lobby. "Now that's how a race winner should look! I feel like you should give Max some fashion advice."

I laughed. "I don't think this dress would fit Max very well."