'Boy Genius'

(College AU: Student!Spencer X Student!Y/N)

A.N.: Woo hey y'all, this is a cute lil one, hope you like it, ~2.6k words :)

T.W.: Swearing, some brief talk about his mother's mental illness, but it's really all very tame.

- K.C.

The backup alarm, set for the previous backup alarm, buzzed loudly across Y/N's bedside table. This was the 'oh shit' alarm, the alarm signaling doom; that maybe you could make it to class, but no matter what, you'd be late.

"Oh shit."

Y/N flew out from under the covers across her creaky twin XL mattress, yanking clothes from their hangers across the floor of the impossibly small dorm room.

"Shitshitshitshitshitshit-" Y/N cursed under her breath as she haphazardly threw together an outfit, swearing louder as the sweater she pulled over her head caught on a piece of her hair. She dove into her drawers, searching for a matching pair of socks but failing.

Y/N ran out the door, down the hall and two flights of questionable stairs certainly not up-to-code, jogging down the street and across the campus as far as possible.

This was going to be the most embarrassing moment of her young adult life. Y/N had begged and pleaded with the professor to grant her special permission to join the class as a college sophomore, despite the course being only open to juniors and seniors. All that work, and she was going to be late to the very first day of Forensic Psychology.

Y/N felt her lungs burning, a scraping feeling underneath her sternum as she sprinted towards the building. Up the steps and through two sets of double doors, she paused to nearly collapse at the water fountain.

She trudged a bit further down the hall before approaching the door to the classroom, waiting until she'd stopped huffing and puffing to carefully turn the old brass doorknob, a shrill squeak emitting from the hinges as she stepped inside.

It was a small class-size, but the room was even smaller. Y/N's heart dropped to her stomach as multiple heads swiveled to look at her as she made the walk of shame towards the only empty chair, which happened to be in the front row.

"Miss L/N, right?" The professor asked. "You're late."

"I'm sorry ma'am." Y/N dipped her head, avoiding the instructor's steely gaze.

The professor nodded. "You're excused for today, but no more disruptions from now on."

"Yes ma'am." Y/N coughed, rummaging through her bag.

The professor resumed her introduction as Y/N pulled out her notebook and set it down, still searching for a pencil. She felt eyes on her as she did so, and glanced up at the boy sitting next to her.

He looked young, younger than her even, and Y/N thought she was the youngest in the course. It was hard to tell the length of his brown hair with it gelled back in an unfortunate style. He was wearing a short-sleeve, blue button-up that desperately needed to be ironed, brown dress pants, and she spotted mismatched socks peeking out from the tops of beat-up red converse.

Who on earth was this kid? Well whoever he was, he was staring at her. Y/N raised an eyebrow at him and he blinked, almost as if he was startled by the fact that she noticed him observing her.

"Can I help you?" Y/N whispered dryly.

The boy's nose twitched. He looked away, interlocking his fingers. Y/N huffed, and continued to look through her bag. She felt eyes on her once more, and turned back to glare at the boy. She was instead surprised to see him holding a second pencil.