Chapter 5

Twenty Dollars-Worth of Love

Chapter 5

 "Dane, pleeeease?" I pleaded, emphasizing the 'e' in 'please' as much as I can.

"Sky, I already told you for the nth time that Alex has to drive you home," Dane said.

"And it's fine with him, so everything's going to be okay," she added, trying to reassure me.

Stupid idiot. This is all his fault. If he hadn't been in the cafe none of this would happen.

If he hadn't been in the cafe you'll probably be dead by now, my inner thought said.

I rolled my eyes and turned my head to Alex, who was fidgetting with my car keys.

He caught my eyes and I shooted daggers at him. He smirked playfully, which made him look dead sexy.

I heard a phone ring, and Dane pulled it out of her pocket then pressed the 'Answer' button.

"Danielle Lane Vickers!" I heard her Mom's voice scream from the other line.

 I smiled, knowing Dane never used her name 'Lane' ever since the seventh grade because she hates it.

"Mom! Will you please calm down. I'm in a hospital ri-", Dane answered but she was quickly cut off by her Mom.

"A hospital? Why on Earth are you in a hospital? Are you hurt? What happened?" I heard her say, throwing questions at Dane all at the same time.

"Whoa, Mom slow down! I'm fine, I just needed to stay with Sky here because she was hit by ice," she said turning to look at me.

"How's Sky?" I heard her Mom.

"Louise, I'm fine!" I shouted as Dane pointed her phone to my direction.

"Oh thank God you're both fine," she sighed.

"Will you come and pick me up?" Dane asked.

"Yes, which hospital are you in?" Louise asked.

"We're at Mount Auburn Hospital, don't bother getting out of the car, I'll wait for you in the parking lot," Dane said.

 "Okay, young lady. You are in a lot of trouble once we get home," Louise said sternly.

Dane just shrugged and shoved her phone back in her jeans' pocket.

"Sky, I need to go now. Change your clothes before you go, it's already dry cleaned," Dane said walking to the table.

She grabbed her purse then handed me my clothes.

"And Alex, drive safe," she said walking out of the door.

"Bye Dane," I said. She waved her hand in response and disappeared in the hallway.

"What time is it?" I asked as I laid back down and closed my eyes.

"It's past 10 am," Alex replied.

"I'll change my clothes now," I said getting up.

I walked to the side of the room only to found out that the bathroom was only covered by an off-white colored curtain.

"Why isn't there any door?" I asked, poking my head into the small bathroom.

"So that I can peek on you," I heard him said.

 My face heated up and I quickly turned around to face him.

"Alex, I swear to God, if yo-" I said, but stopped when he stood up and gave his back to me.