Chapter 18

The bell finally rang today and I walked lazily out of the room. My head is still aching from all the crying and thinking that I've done last night, but I weakly forced myself to function so I could go and check how Trent is doing.

After driving away from the school, I proceeded to the hospital and entered the room to find Trent waiting for someone, anyone--me.

"Hey," I said as I dropped my bag gently on the floor.

"H-hi," he managed to croak. I sat down on the chair beside his bed and surveyed his face. He had slightly dark bags under his eyes and he still had the bandage around his forehead, but thank God, the C-shaped strap on his neck has already been removed.

"How are you feeling?" I stood, trying to be a little more cheerful for Trent. I placed a hand gently on the top of his head.

"Better now," he said, taking my hand and placing a kiss on it.

I felt my heart melt a little inside.

"School was fine," I said nonchalantly, trying to take our minds off this whole mess.

"I missed you," he answered.

I didn't answer. I kept thinking about Alex and how he never bothered to contact me or show up after the incident.

"Do you want something to eat?" I asked, changing the topic.

His stomach growled slightly in response.

"Okay," I breathed. "I'll be back in a few."

He didn't want me to go, but I eventually persuaded him that no one else can get the food. I slowly walked out of the hospital and went to the convenience store nearby.

What was I supposed to get?

Sandwiches? Cup noodles? Apples? Pancakes?

My heart seared when I saw the box of ready-to-heat pancakes in the fridge.

Oh, Alex.

Sadly, I slowly grabbed two sandwiches and a couple of drinks.

"Well, look here," a familiar voice said. "We've got ourselves a cat on the loose."

I turned to see Kirsten with her friends.

"Or should I say, rat," she said sarcastically.

I was definitely not in the mood to talk to her right now or I might just commit murder. I just ignored her and walked towards the counter.

"Sure, sure, walk away," she said. "After all, I have Mr. Handsome over there to keep me company."

My head instantly snapped to the direction she was referring to and my heart broke.

Alex was on the other side of the store, happily laughing with his friends.

His eyes landed on my gaze for a moment, and saw the food I'm holding, and then looked back to his friends as if he did not see anything.

Or anyone, for that matter.

So much for being my boyfriend.

Oh yeah, that was fake. I'm guessing everything else he said to me were all fake, too?

But what about the way he touched me?

What about the kisses?

But worse, how was I going to explain everything to my father? Dad gets heartbroken when I'm sad, too.

After paying for everything I bought, I walked out of the store feeling devastated.

I thought, the worst part of it all, was that the only thing that's real right now was how painful my heart felt.