Sixteen

I stepped into the Frozen Hearth. Ironically, it was the warmest thing for miles. I felt as though my damp, snow-covered hair was drying just by standing in the tavern. After spending nearly two days in a wagon, I was ready for some sleep, but I decided that sleep could wait until after this business with the Guild was sorted. Sleep was for the weak, anyway.

I found Karliah sitting at one of the tables closest to the fire. She turned on my approach, and she gave me a smile. "Good, you've made it. Are you hurt?"

I shook my head. "No. I jumped off a cliff and landed in some water, got my bandages wet, but I'm fine."

"Good. Enthir is waiting for us. Follow me." She stood, walked towards the back of the inn. I followed close by as she led the way into the cellar. Odd place for a meeting, but at least it would be private.

"She's made it back," said Karliah as we stepped into the dank cellar. She looked to a Bosmeri man at the other end of the room. "She's got the key."

"Good," said Enthir. He was a narrowly built wood elf, clothed in fine, well-fitting green mage robes. His head was shaved on the sides, but on top, his hair was allowed to grow long, and it flopped over one side of his head. He looked at me as we got closer, his dark eyes scrutinizing. "Always good to see a fellow wood elf."

"Likewise, although I am not all Bosmeri." I ducked my head and shook out my wet hair. Then I reached into my satchel and pulled out the papers. "Here it is."

"Rubbings? Interesting." He took the paper and laid it out on the table. Then he put a small, tan leather-bound journal next to it. "I was expecting a journal." He leaned over the table, his gaze flicking from the journal to the key and back again. "Hmm. This is intriguing, but highly disturbing. It appears that Gallus had suspicions about Mercer Frey's allegiance to the Guild for months. Gallus had begun to uncover what he calls an '... unduly lavish lifestyle replete with spending vast amounts of gold on personal pleasures.'"

Beside me, Karliah clenched her fist. "Does the journal say where this wealth came from?"

"Yes. Gallus seems certain that Mercer had been removing funds from the Guild's treasury without anyone's knowledge."

"Anything else, Enthir? Anything about... the Nightingales?"

"Hmm. Yes, here it is. The last few pages seem to describe 'the failure of the Nightingales,' although it doesn't go into great detail. Gallus also repeatedly mentions his strong belief that Mercer desecrated something known as the Twilight Sepulcher."

Karliah's gray face went pale. "Shadows preserve us. So it's true..."

Enthir furrowed his brow, looking up from the journal. "I'm not familiar with the Twilight Sepulcher. What is it? What's Mercer Frey done?"

Karliah shook her head and held up one hand. "I'm sorry, Enthir, I can't say. All that matters is that we deliver your translation to the Guild immediately." Her eyes became soft, thankful. "Farewell, Enthir... words can't express..."

The Bosmer smiled gently. "It's all right, Karliah. You don't have to say a word." Then he turned to me. "Thank you for bringing this to me. You've taken a great risk."

"Trust me, no thanks are necessary. All I want is for Mercer to be brought to justice."

"All the same, thank you."

I nodded, then watched as he folded the translation into the journal. With that, he left Karliah and me to ourselves.

Karliah cleared her throat, causing me to turn to her. "We must hasten to Riften before Mercer can do any more damage to the Guild."

I nodded, moving to take the journal off the table. I slipped it into my satchel. "Gallus's journal mentioned the 'Twilight Sepulcher.' Just out of curiosity, what is the Twilight Sepulcher?"

"You've come this far, so I see no harm in concealing it any longer. The Twilight Sepulcher is the temple to Nocturnal. It's what the Nightingales are sworn to protect with their lives."

"Why does it require that type of protection?"

"Everything that represents Nocturnal's influence is contained within the walls of the Sepulcher. Now it seems Mercer's broken his oath with Nocturnal and defiled the very thing he swore to protect."

I pursed my lips a little. "Thieves and temples. It just doesn't add up."

"I felt the same way when Gallus first revealed these things to me. I think given time, you'll understand what I mean."

"I'd understand better if less mystery was involved."

"As a Nightingale, I've been sworn to secrecy regarding the Sepulcher. I know the Guild doesn't do much to foster faith, but I'm going to have to ask that you continue to trust me."

I gave a begrudging nod. "Very well, we do it your way. For now."

"I'll make for Riften and scout the situation; see if I can discover what Mercer's up to. When you're ready, meet me at the Ragged Flagon. In the meantime, I wanted you to have this." She took the sword off her belt, holding it out to me. "It belonged to Gallus, but given the circumstances I think he'd approve."

I took the blade from her, admiring the symbol etched into the hilt. It was beautiful. Dark and deadly, yet elegant. It was also light, easy to handle. A thief's blade. It felt right in my hands, as if it had been made for me.

I took my other sword off my belt, fastening this one to it, instead. "I'll put it to good use."

She smiled, although it looked pained. "If the Guild isn't willing to listen to reason, you might have to."

"Don't say that." My tone became serious. "They'll listen. Bryn will listen to me."

"Are you sure? You're in league with, what is in his eyes, a traitor. A murderer. He and the rest of the Guild know Mercer's fabricated story. More importantly, they believe it. We just have our word against his. And who's to say they would believe us over him?"

"I just know. Bryn is reasonable."

"Brynjolf is a lot of things. Reasonable when he is calm. But seeing a traitor will make his temper come out."

"But he's not a killer. He won't raise his blade against us. I know he won't."

She sighed, her violet eyes becoming full of sympathy. "I admire your optimism, but it borders on naivety. The Guild protect their own, even from those who were once a part of them. They won't let what happened to Gallus happen again."

"I still think you're wrong. Brynjolf—"

"But Brynjolf isn't the only thief down there. Just remember that."

"I will." I sighed. "You've been away from the Guild for a long time. Things might not be as bad as you think."

"I admire your courage, my friend." She smiled and adjusted her bow. "See you in Riften?"

"Actually, if you don't mind, I would like to travel with you. I don't want to spend anymore time away from the Guild. I want this to end."

Her smile widened. "I was hoping you would say that. Shall we, then?"

I nodded. "Let's go."