Twenty

Femke

Water pooled around me, enveloping my limbs. My hair, free of my hood, spread out like black tendrils through the cold liquid. I gasped, tried to move, but I was paralyzed. Not by fear, but by something else. It was like a poison had seeped into my veins, locking my muscles up and refusing to yield.

As the water flowed over my nose, I took one last breath in, closing my eyes and praying that my love would find me before I drowned. Praying that I would not die so coldly, so suddenly, so—

A hand pressed on my shoulder, shaking me awake. "Lass."

I sat bolt-upright. Bryn backed up just before our heads collided. Sweat dripped down my spine and slicked my face. My heart raced, and I fought to calm myself down.

"Lass, what's wrong?" Bryn sat down next to me, his hand resting on my bare and damp shoulder.

I wiped my hands down my face and sighed. "It was a bad dream. Nothing more." I blinked a couple times, then looked at him. "You need something?"

"Aye. It's time. Karliah wants to see both of us now. You'd best get dressed."

He got up and turned his back while I wrestled with my armor. Ton still had not replaced my ruined cuirass, but I did not have time to worry about it. I could ask her later. With Bryn and Karliah on my side, I doubted that Mercer would be able to hurt me like he had before.

Once dressed, I walked with Brynjolf to the middle of the Cistern, where Karliah was waiting for us. She had her arms hanging at her sides, and she wore a tight expression. Her expression made me notice the wrinkles under her eyes, between her eyebrows, and at the corners of her mouth. Worry lines, from years of exile. I realized then just how old she really was, and how long she had been running. It made me want to take down Mercer even more.

We took our places in front of Karliah. She first glanced at me, then turned to Bryn. "Brynjolf, the time has come to decide Mercer's fate. Until a new Guild Master is chosen, the decision falls to you."

Bryn nodded, shoulders drooping. As if he were carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. "Aye, lass... I've come to a decision. Mercer Frey tried to kill both of you, he betrayed the Guild, murdered Gallus and made us question our future. He needs to die."

I reached my hand out and touched Bryn's arm. He gave me a gentle, thankful look, then wrapped his hand around my own.

"We have to be very careful, Brynjolf." Karliah held up her hands, just for a moment. "Mercer is a Nightingale, an Agent of Nocturnal."

"Then it's all true... everything I heard in the stories. The Nightingales, their allegiance to Nocturnal and the Twilight Sepulcher."

Karliah nodded. "Yes. That's why we need to prepare ourselves an meet Mercer on equal footing. Just outside of Riften, beyond the southeast Gate is a small path cut up the mountainside. At the end of that path is a clearing and an old Standing Stone. I'd ask you both meet me there."

"Aye. See you then, Karliah."

With that, she turned and left the Cistern, heading for the secret Guild entrance.

"Whenever you're ready, lass," said Bryn as he let go of my hand. "I got everything squared away."

I nodded. "Then I see no point in tarrying here. We should go."

We walked to his bed in the Cistern, where he handed me a black satchel, then shouldered his own. I pulled the strap over my shoulder, letting the pouch hang at my hip, then I made sure my new blade was secured to my waist.