Nineteen

Brynjolf

Femke and I hid in the shadows close to Mercer's house, Riftweald Manor. She grumbled under her breath and readjusted her dress. I tried not to grin at her discomfort, but seeing her all flustered over something so simple brought a smile to my face. I knew if I was not wearing my hood, if Femke could see my grin, and if we were not trying to be quiet, she would be letting me have it.

With one low huff, Femke stopped messing with her tight skirts and grabbed her bow. She only had one arrow with her, but she had insisted that she would not miss. I watched her notch the arrow with practiced precision, pull the bowstring back to her cheek, then creep forward just enough to see the ramp's mechanism. Her shoulders loosened, she let out one breath, then released the string.

A hard thump and her wicked grin told me she had hit her target.

Quickly, she passed me her bow, then backed up a few steps. She stood up behind me, grinned, then walked out in plain sight of Vald.

I held my breath as the lout spoke up. His voice was angry. "Who are you?"

Femke gasped, as if surprised. I risked a glance around the corner, and I saw her place her hands on her hips. "Well, you see, I'm in a bit of a bind." She bit her lip, then began to twirl a loose lock of her hair around one finger. "I need someone who's strong and able to help. The guards won't listen to me. You're strong, aren't you? Can't you help?"

Behind the locked gate, Vald scratched the back of his neck. "I'm not supposed to leave my post."

"Oh, it's not far. For such a strong and... handsome man like you," (at this, she nearly cringed), "it won't take long. You can leave to help me, can't you?" Femke batted her eyelashes. "I'll make it worth your while."

Then Vald grinned, and Femke's shoulders tensed. She was trying not to shudder. I ground my teeth a little, having to remind myself it was all a game. A ruse.

"Well, lead the way, pretty girl." Vald unlocked the gate, and he left it wide open as he stepped up to Femke. He tried to put his arm over her shoulders, but she giggled and sidestepped him.

She tucked the loose strand of hair behind her ear and pointed to her right. "It's just this way."

With their backs to me, I crept through the open gate, looking over my shoulder for any signs of trouble. All clear. Now to get up the ramp.

I mounted the stairs, then padded up the rickety ramp leading to the second-story door. It was locked, but easy to pick open. Before I entered, I looked down for any sign of Vald and Femke. Unfortunately, I could not see them. I shook my head and pushed the door open.

She'll be fine. Vald can't hurt her.

It was dark inside, as well as dirty. Mercer never bothered with the place, and that was evident. Cobwebs and thick layers of dust covered the furniture and the corners of the room. The floors were unswept. I wondered just how often he even bothered to come in here.

Before I could wonder much more, a Redguard wearing mismatched fur armor came up the stairs, heading towards me. I pressed myself into the darkest corner I could find, forcing myself to breathe easily as the man came closer. I lowered my hand to the hilt of my sword. I never liked using it against others; violence was not my way. But if it came down to me or him, I was not going to let him kill me.

"Hey, what's going on up there?" called a reedy, heavily-accented voice below. It sounded like a Khajiit male.

The Redguard shrugged and headed back to the stairs. "Nothin'. Just thought I heard something."