Seventeen

"It's been so long since I've had a companion in anything," said Karliah as we left the cold wind and snow behind us. We had made it into Eastmarch, and found ourselves in the more temperate region of the volcanic tundra. The region was known for its massive number of giant camps, but it was the quickest way back to Riften. Although it was far from the safest.

I smiled a little. "Well, you don't deserve what happened to you. I can't imagine spending twenty-five years in exile, never finding a safe place to stay because you've been branded a traitor."

"It gave me a lot of time to mull over how I was going to get my revenge." She shook her head. "But enough about me. I hardly know anything about you. Where are you from?"

"Dawnstar. My father was a jewelry-smith in Valenwood, a long time ago, and was trying to make his fortune here. On his way to Whiterun, he took a detour in Dawnstar. He wasn't planning on staying long, but the innkeeper's daughter turned his head. All he had to do was look at her, and he knew she was the one he was going to marry. They courted for a few months before he asked for her hand. She readily said yes.

"I was born not long after they were wed. My father had planned on bringing my mother with him in his travels, but when she found out she was with child, he knew he didn't want to risk his unborn child's life in the wilds of Skyrim. He settled down in Dawnstar, became a miner and did his jewelry business on the side."

"Did he teach you his trade?"

"Some of it. He taught me how to spot good materials, as well as to forge rings. I didn't have the patience for the craft, so I took to weapons. He taught me everything I know about archery, and my mother taught me how to handle a dagger."

"What did you do in Dawnstar? Work at the inn, like your mother?"

"No. My grandfather would not have me working the inn. He didn't want his customers to see his hybrid grandchild. He, just like everyone else in Dawnstar, was ashamed of me. They liked to pretend I didn't exist."

"What of your parents? Were they ashamed, too?"

"Of course not. They loved me, told me there was never anything wrong with me. When we went places, my mother would cover my ears, but that was the only thing she ever did. At home, I was allowed to be myself. Life was good, albeit dull."

"What happened to that life?"

"My mother died. My father walked away soon after. I think he went home to Valenwood. He left me behind, with my grandparents who hated me. When I finally got the guts to do it, I ran away, and I stole as much money as I could from them. It was my first experience with thieving."

"How did you get tangled with the Guild?"

I chuckled. "It wasn't my intention to make my living by stealing. I traveled, worked where I could, before I ended up in Riften. It took me quite some time to get that far, but I was desperate when I got there. I had been robbed by bandits. I was lucky to escape with my life. When I made it, the guards wouldn't let me in because I couldn't pay the visitor's tax. They left me to die in the rain. If it weren't for Bryn, I would have frozen to death. I owe him my life." I looked at the path beneath our moving feet, feeling ashamed. "And I humiliated him in front of the entire Guild."

"What did he do?"

"He accused me of lying to him. Even if I haven't known him that long, I would never lie to him. He saved me, after all. And he told me that he would never lie to me. I just got so mad."

"Being called a liar by a fellow thief is quite the accusation. Despite claims, there is honor among thieves. At least there is in the Guild."

"It hurts when the person accusing you of lying is the one you love."