Chapter 17: The Hothead's Heartbreak

"We need a few more supplies," Sarina reports as she adjusts her safety goggles.

Donatello nods as he taps his clipboard lightly with the tip of his pencil. "We need a some more metal alloys for the outfits and something powerful enough to jumpstart the teleporter power core. Maybe something like a Kraang power-cell, but...hmm..." He trails off, starting to mumble to himself as he starts scribbling away at his paper.

Leonardo crosses his arms over his chest. "How much metal? Assuming that all of us will be going into the cyberverse—"

"I won't be going," Sarina interrupts. "Donnie has expressed his deep concern for me entering Circa's domain, plus you'll need a base commander. That leaves you four, Destiny, and Annalise to go inside."

"Wait, me?!" Annalise blanches. "I thought I was going to be something like base commander."

"Plans change," Donatello says, casting only a brief look at his gathered family members as he keeps writing. "Your role will be suit maintenance assistant. Helping me out with repairs and such." Another brief smile in her direction, hand still writing as if with a mind of its own. "I already told Raph to adjust the diagrams."

Raphael nods, emitting a grunt. "Pink is easier to work with than white."

Annalise feels her throat go dry, but she swallows hard and manages to nod. Michelangelo, too excited to think, grins at her and mouths out, "I'm so glad you're coming." That softens her.

The doors to the lab fly open and Casey Jones struts in like he owns the place, his hand held up as if he's waiting to be called on in school. April trails behind him, already reaching to pinch the bridge of her nose.

"Excuse me! Casey Jones was NOT told about this meeting thingy!" he proclaims.

Sarina blinks. "I was under the impression that you were not coming," she states. "April, does that mean you are also interested in going? Donatello and I will have to adjust our plans."

Casey huffs, eyebrows knitting together, while April dons a sweet smile and pushes her boyfriend's hand down. "No, I was just hoping to stay back and make myself useful here. That's alright, isn't it?"

"Indeed! I would appreciate the company," Sarina says. "That way, I have someone watching mine and their backs if Circa tries something again."

Donatello's eyes snap with fury and he grasps Sarina's hand, bringing her closer to him, and she reaches to grasp his arm without a second thought. Her fingertips massage his suddenly tense muscles.

"If it means anything, I want Casey to come along," Destiny says, raising her hand. "I have a feeling he'd be good at this."

Casey grins and reaches out to fist-bump her. "Thanks, wolfie. Always got my back," he says as their knuckles touch and they share a proud look.

Raphael seems to lighten a little. "Yeah, I want Casey to come too," he says with a wicked grin. Annalise stares at the sight, wondering if she's imagining it, and Raphael saunters over to Casey and slings an arm over his shoulder. He yanks the boy down and grinds his knuckles into his hair. "Glad to have you on board, meathead."

Casey snorts and bats away Raphael's hands. "Like I wouldn't be, dude."

Leonardo, a silent onlooker to the conversation happening around him, rises from his thoughts. "Is building Casey a suit going to be a problem, though?" he wonders.

"Nope," Donatello says. "Annalise and Raph already made him a design. We're all set, except for materials."

Casey pumps his fist. "Aw yeah, this thing is going to be the literal coolest."