Chapter 37: And You Let Her Go

Annalise found that saying goodbye to everyone in the lair was so much harder than she wanted it to be. She replays the goodbyes in her head over and over again while Michelangelo carries her home on his shell, struck by how final it all seems.

Leonardo offered a handshake, but she opted to give him a hug instead. He laughed lightly and returned it, giving her a brotherly pat on the back with a reminder to stay strong. Donatello shook her hand repeatedly, thanking her over and over for her help, while Sarina joked that she'd be ready to save Annalise again, should she ever need it.

Raphael handed her her onō, telling her to keep working at it because hey, protecting yourself is important and he wouldn't want to see her get hurt. That warmed her heart. Splinter gave her a package of herbal tea and explained that it helps to calm nerves. April and Casey promised to talk to her at school more. Diaval nodded and awkwardly patted her head.

Destiny waited until the end, catching up to Annalise once the others got out of the way. "Annalise," she said, rubbing the back of her neck. She sighed. "Look, uh...if you're ever having a hard time with everything, I'm here to talk. Just shoot me a text." She smiled a little and hesitantly extended her fist. "Punch Death in the face, right?"

Annalise nodded and accepted the fist-bump. "Punch him right in the face."

She left feeling a little lighter.

"Here we are!" Michelangelo says, snapping her out of her daydreaming.

Annalise looks up and sure enough, they're on her fire escape. She slips off Michelangelo's shell and hands her small bag of stuff to Michelangelo. While he holds it, she opens her window. Within a few seconds, there's the excited pattering of paws and Pepper bursts into the bedroom, her entire body wiggling with glee.

"Peppy!" Annalise grins as the terrier leaps into her arms. "Hello, yes, I missed you too! I missed you too, Peppy puppy!"

Michelangelo feels his heart swell his warmth at the scene. As Annalise climbs into her room and he hands her bag back, the finality of it all hits him again. Sure, she may see them again, but in how long? If she needs normal, then Michelangelo and his family aren't it.

Each second that passes it another reminder that he may not get another chance to tell her how he feels.

Pepper settles on Annalise's bed, tongue lolling, and Annalise goes back to the window. She gazes up at Michelangelo with questioning in her eyes. He heaves a sigh.

"Annalise, uh...look, I'm sorry about everything," he starts. "I'm sorry that I was so creepy around you when we first met and I'm sorry that I dragged you into this and I'm incredibly sorry that now you've got all these terrible things bouncing around in your head..." He shakes his head, voice thick. "I'm just...sorry."

She says nothing for a second. She climbs back out the window, gazing up at him before she pulls him into a hug. His heart pounds as he returns it, eyes burning.

"Mikey, meeting you was amazing," she whispers. "Because of you, I realized so much about myself and went on a crazy adventure, plus I made new friends." She pulls away from the hug. "Don't feel sorry for that."

He tries to speak again, but his throat gets tight and far too dry. He gulps hard, almost losing himself in those pretty eyes that can't decide whether they're blue or grey. She waits before him, expectant, lingering, and he moistens his lips.

"If...if you're sad or scared or need a friend, ever, just call me," he says. "I'll come over and we'll eat pizza and play video games. If..." He falters. "If you need me, I'll be here, and even if I'm not around and your YouTube channel isn't around, I'm always gonna be your biggest fan and member of the Donut Army."

She smiles, edges of sorrow nicking her eyes. "I'm gonna hold you to that promise, PizzaNunchucker."

He salutes. "Please do."

She goes to speak, but another voice interrupts. "Annalise?" Leanne calls from the hallway. "Annalise, is...is that you?"

Michelangelo ducks out of sight and Annalise climbs back in the window. She casts the turtle one last smile before shutting the window and tugging the curtains closed. There's only a sliver of space left between.

"Yeah, mom! I'm in here!"

Michelangelo listens as the door opens and there's a cry of joy mottled with tearful laughter. He peeks in through the slit in the curtains to see Mrs. Hughes hugging Annalise tight, kissing all over her forehead while Annalise just holds on.

"You...you need a shower," Mrs. Hughes sniffles as she finally releases her daughter.

"I know, I kinda stink..."

Another tight hug. "I'm so glad you're safe, sweetie."

"Me too, mom."

Michelangelo takes a few steps back, takes a deep breath, and turns away. He runs his hands over his face, steeling his nerve, swallowing the knot in his gut, and he leaps off the fire escape and heads back home.

"Just let her go, Mikey. Let her go," he whispers.