Chapter 21: Arena Horrors

"Wake up! Run!"

I scream to the others to get up and depart as the fog gets closer and closer. Finnick wakes up and bounces straight up to his feet, holding his trident in a defensive position. When he realizes there isn't an enemy and just the fog, he lowers his weapon and goes straight to Mags. He shakes her awake before tossing her onto his back and running.

"C'mon Rory," I mutter under my breath as I shake him desperately. He wakes up sleepily and I help him up.

"What's happening..."

"It doesn't matter, we have to go. Hurry up! We have to run!"

Rory tries to co-operate but the after effects of his run into the force field are starting to show up. He keeps stumbling in each step and for a moment I have the scary thought of abandoning him and trying to run on my own. I take a deep breath before hauling him onto my back and carrying him despite his protests.

"Prim I can walk," he tells me, "I won't let you do this- let me down, you're going to tire yourself out."

Sure, it's tiring, but I can't just let him die. Up ahead, Finnick's yelling out words of encouragement, at the same time letting us know where he's at. The fog nips at our heals and we cannot rest for a even a second. Wherever it touches my skin it stings and there's a searing pain. Despite my knowledge within the medical field, I have no idea what it is. It must be chemical generated.

The fog leaves scabs all over my skin and it hurts so bad that I want to just drop down and cry out in agony. But I know that isn't a choice. After a while I let Rory down and we're walking side by side. It's when I see his face that I realize the fog is far more powerful than I had initially thought. The left side of his face is drooping down as if all the muscles within it are dead- and they probably are. The fog is messing with our nerves- and that's not good. His mouth is dropping to one side almost like it's melting and I start to freak out. It creates a new fear in me and I push Rory forward, which only causes him to stumble. By the time he stands back up his legs are shaking uncontrollably.

"Rory please," I mumble as I try to get him up to his feet. I know he's doing the best he can but I just wish he could do a little bit more. Eventually he gets up and we keep walking- him leaning against me to stay up. It's only when there's a ten foot gap between us and the fog before Finnick stops. He comes back to check on us and gives a few words of encouragement.

"And uh, I think it'd be best if you carried our little friend just for a few more miles," Finnick quietly adds. I sigh but nod because I know that's our best shot at making it out alive. Rory hops onto my back and I huff as I lift him and start following Finnick again. A few times the fog gets to us and I have to keep reminding myself that I can't give up, that I must keep going.

I notice Finnick steering us diagonally from the fog rather than running directly away from it. It confuses me at first then it hits me. He's getting us to the cornucopia. He's getting us to water. Water, I need water, I think as the acid sinks into my skin.

Thank goodness I never thought any further on the idea of getting rid of Finnick- I don't know how I would have made it here if it weren't for him.

Rory does everything he can in his power to be an easy passenger but I start to stumble nevertheless. The fog is getting to me and I can't control my arms too well. I fall a couple of times. The first two times I get up but on the third I just can't. I croak and start flailing my arms, trying to grab onto something and help myself up. Soon Finnick comes to the rescue, Mags hanging over him.

"I can't do it," I cry, "Can you take Rory? I'll catch up."

It's a doubtful proposal but there really isn't anything else I can do at the moment. I look into Finnick's green eyes, that are shining with a strange reflective quality. Shiny with tears.